Monday, January 14, 2013

An unusual call.

A couple of days back, I'd seen the appreciative messages from a group of my school mates who'd participated in a private get together organised on a beach, in the vicinity of the school. And one among them was Sajjad, two to three years junior to me who was well behaved and likeable, thanks to his unspoilt and pleasant manners.

I think I can take the credit, in a minutely small way in having mentored him and take pride in his growth over the years as I was his Prefect, way back in school. He has done well for himself and is running a private enterprise - dealing with educational research and consultancy - today, after hanging his uniform a few years back.

I'd sent him a mail asking him about his whereabouts, his family and as to what he was doing at present. I was pretty sure that he'd be prompt in his reply but the alacrity with which he did it surprised - or should I say, scared - me! I'd hit the sack and was deep in slumber, when around a half past 2 well past midnight, my cellphone had started to ring incessantly. I was shaken up and was waiting for the worst because one doesn't expect anything but bad news at such an unearthly hour. And to make matters worse, the number beeping seemed to be unfamiliar! After a few more rings it ceased. It was my turn to call back on the number, when a sheepish and profusely apologising Sajjad came on the line to say that he'd, on saving my number - that I'd passed by e-mail - accidentally pressed on the 'call' button! I do not know what my overwhelming emotion was - relieved that it was no heart wrenching bit of news or annoyed to be disturbed over trivia?! Whatever it was, I'd no intention to lambast poor Sajjad who'd got in touch - albeit, unwittingly and badly timed - after what seemed to be a long, long time. After mumbling that I'd get back to him, first thing in the morning, I'd switched off and resumed my slumber.

His call underlined the strong bond of our relationship! Thanks, Sajjad for your kindness and may good things happen to you!!


Tailpiece.

Did speak to him this morning. He has a daughter and son, both software engineers, and the daughter was married just last month and the son is awaiting call from 'Cognizant' in Pune. They're settled in Thiruvananthapuram and he's delighted that his private venture - in which he's helped by a few of his close friends - has taken off well.

Had also called up his close friend and buddy, Rishikesh after getting his number from him. He was on a visit to a temple and has promised to call up on reaching his house. But wasn't he thrilled?

No comments:

Post a Comment