Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The wedding and the return.

The day had begun at 4 AM so that we could be at the venue to be in time for the wedding. This time the ladies had changed into sarees of an orange-red hue and they matched the backdrop, elegantly. And I shall continue with the snippets:-

   (a) The wedding.

         The ceremony was comparatively shorter, in that, it lasted for a trifle over an hour. Prasanna and
         Lavanya became man and wife, as they followed the priest's diktats and carried out activities that
         culminated in the tying of the 'thali' and the exchange of huge but colourful garlands. The traditional
         orchestra had hit the crescendo and the entire atmosphere was charged, yet soothing. The subsequent
         photographic/video session went on and on, but since we'd to leave soon after, we lost no time to
         hit the banquet hall for the 'high' breakfast!

    (b) A to Z.

          The breakfast consisted of a train of dishes - literally the 'a' to 'z' of Tamilian delicacies - and I must
          sheepishly admit that I ate myself silly as I'd made up my mind to taste everything that was being
          served. It was evident that the caterers had done a fantastic job.

    (c) And back to Kochi.

         Soon it was time to bid farewell to the hosts as we'd a long journey - 325 kms - ahead of us to be
         at home at a reasonable time. Rajapalayam Amma was eloquent with her words when she said, "I
         know now as to how much you love me. Give me a call when you reach Kochi". The 87 year old
         sprightly lady had personally ensured that we're looked after well by enquiring about the minutest
         details with the organisers!


Tailpiece.

1. A wonderful experience of a Tamilian wedding where the associated pomp and splendour had a subdued elegance without even a hint of garishness!

2. But there was a wrong note that was prevalent in the background. Two of Lavanya's uncles and their families had refused to participate in the wedding due to their personal differences with her mom, over family property. On my return, I'd called up the elder one to convey my disappointment. I was always under the impression that since he has travelled far and wide, all over the world, his education about life was more rounded, devoid of pettiness. But my reading seems to have been way off the mark. Sad! Wonder how Rajapalayam amma has taken it? She made it a point not to show her disappointment.
       

  

No comments:

Post a Comment