Friday, January 18, 2013

Small things that gave me immense pleasure.

1. Sebastian's birthday.

It was my 'saarthi', Sebastian's birthday. And as is the custom I gave him a card, first thing in the morning, while wishing him. Lekha and Achu, my nephew who's currently with us, had also wished him when he'd rung the doorbell to announce his arrival. The genuine thrill writ large on his face gladdened me and I knew that his day was made and seeing him so, made mine too.

His colleagues in the office were also enthusiastic in their wishes as he trooped in after me. Ever since I've taken over this appointment, I'd insisted on maintaining the finer service traditions and customs and what finer event needs celebration than one's own birthday? I believe that it gives the individual a sense of being wanted.

Sebastian had, in return, treated us to a 'high tea' that consisted of pastries and rolls - must have made a hole in his pocket, for sure! May he get whatever he wishes for in the coming year!


2. Calls.

In our residential area, we've three blocks with the fourth in the making. Each block has twelve floors and each floor has four flats. In the second floor of the block, that we live in, it's a coincidence that the remaining three have just been occupied by new arrivals.

We'd given them a fortnight for settling down and frankly, must admit that I'd expected each one of them to call on us to formally announce their arrival, as is the age old service tradition. Such formal calls help people to understand their immediate neighbours more closely and makes rendering/acquiring of assistance at the time of need, very easy sans inhibitions.

Since none of them was seen thus far, Lekha and me had decided to visit each of them to inform them that we're their immediate neighbours and could be approached in times of need or for any help that might pop up. Were they nonplussed, I wouldn't know. It was not my intention, though. And in the process, picked up two kids - Nihaar, studying in class I and Saaksham, studying in the UKG, oops SKG - as my latest friends.


3. Getting to know more about Achu.

My nephew has been with us for the last week. He's currently pursuing a project of his at the Cochin Shipyard Ltd. Discussions with him has always been interesting as I get an insight as to what he and his generation think about us, what they aspire to be, what actuates them and what puts them off.

I daresay that I'm learning in the process and I look forward to those interactions. Wonder whether he relishes it in equal measure?


Tailpiece.

As I write this piece, the number from the movie, 'The Sound of Music' keeps playing deep within, "......These are a few of my favourite things".


No comments:

Post a Comment