Thursday, December 4, 2014

Adieu, Krishna Iyer sir.

A colossus has passed into the mist of time. Around 1530h, this afternoon, his 'flight' had finally arrived. Sometime back he'd said about his state, with a touch of humour and I quote, "I feel like being on a prolonged wait in a departure lounge of the airport, waiting for my flight".

The media is already covering the details of the illustrious lawman, to the minutest details and any attempt on my part to add on to it would appear to be presumptuous and trying to flaunt my association with him - too little, compared to what my maman had and to confess, weren't I a twad jealous of him on that matter? A couple of years before my grandfather's passing away, he'd told sir that he was placing his son under his tutelage and that he'd the right to correct him and guide him in all his future endeavours. From then on, there was no looking back and they'd an excellent rapport.

Sir's respect and admiration for my grandfather was touching and everlasting. In 1978, when the Kerala Grandhasala Sanghom was taken over by the government and put under a 'Control Board' of nominated members, PN Panicker - its architect and founder - did not find a place in it(A hasty decision taken by an inexperienced AK Antony, as CM, which he'd the grace to correct soon after, on realising his mistake). The irony of it all was that he'd been previously urging the government to take over the administration of the mammoth organisation that he'd set up, consisting of over 6,000 libraries spread all across the state!

It was a 'broken' PN Panicker who was resurrected by Justice Krishna Iyer sir, through his personal involvement! That he'd built a thriving organisation - The Kerala Association for Non-Formal Education(KANFED) - which had provided leadership to all the agencies connected with making Kerala 100% literate in 1991, is history.

Years later, when I'd a professional setback, my maman had taken me to him for advice. After hearing me out, he'd spoken to the then naval chief about me and I can never, ever forget his preamble and I quote, "Good evening Admiral, I'm Krishna Iyer. I know this young man, Commander Rajeev Nair......" From then on I used to drop in at his residence - beautifully named, 'Sathgamaya' - whenever time permitted and it was always a pleasure to interact with him because it was not only stimulating but an education, by itself.

Again it was his directions that got my maman and me through the corridors of power in New Delhi to have the Post and Telegraphs to bring out a postage stamp in honour of PN Panicker in 2004, after an initial setback!

Years back, I remember Chellappan Aasaan, an astrologer of repute in Thiruvananthapuram, predicting that sir would live to be a 100 years. To pass away within a few weeks after his 100th birthday, appears to me, that he lived to prove the prophecy right! Unfortunately, the one who made the prophecy passed away soon after without having the privilege of validating his announcement!!

RIP, Vaidyanathapuram Rama Iyer Krishna Iyer sir! I, along with my colleagues at the PN Panicker Foundation, offer our tears and prayers. You're not merely our Patron and Chairman, but our beloved patriarch! My salute to a wonderful and kind human being!


Tailpiece.

(a) In Jul '91, after the passing away of my grandmother, he was prompt in offering his condolences to PN Panicker and sometime, later when they'd met, sir had 'welcomed' him into the 'widowers' club'!On realising that he'd unknowingly caused him hurt, he went out of his way to placate him saying that he'd no right to have done it when he, himself, was devastated at the untimely passing away of his wife!

(b) I believe that he'd instructed the doctors not to unnecessarily prolong his life by putting him on ventilator support if things weren't working for him. Was he tired of being with us, eagerly wanting to pursue eternal life?......One would never know!  

No comments:

Post a Comment