Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Adieu Bala sir!

Commander Balaji Iyengar passed into the mist of time last night, around 2200h. He'd suffered a brain stroke on 04 Dec, was hospitalised at the Narayana Hospital in Bangalore soon after, but never regained consciousness despite a surgery that was carried out.

'Balaikes' as he called himself on e-mail was a wonderful human being and always full of beans. He never hesitated to accept his mistakes and was a compulsive 'do gooder'. His greatest asset was his ability to make friends easily and would go that extra mile to put the other at ease in his company.

The last I'd met him was when we're attending the wedding reception of Commander Tommy Tharian's daughter at the RSI, Bangalore almost about two years back. I was talking to someone when he'd come from behind, closed my eyes asking me to recognise as to who it was! That was the quintessential Bala Iyengar, ever ready to lighten up a situation with his antics that had his own, distinct trademark! I remember having spent the rest of the evening interacting with him over various aspects, including his post retirement passions.

Never did I visualise then that it was the last time that I'd be seeing his smiling visage!

He'd promised to visit us at Kochi which now remains an unfinished task. But true to his word, he was in touch with me over the e-mail through his colourful as well as informative forwards and updating me about the key developments concerning us. I still can't believe that he's not amid us anymore.

RIP, Bala sir! My salute, tears and prayers for a great human being. Jyothi, Tushaar and Tarang, I know that my words would be of no use to you in your hour of grief. Here's wishing that god gives you the strength to tide over these difficult times!


Tailpiece.

I'm reminded of a mad evening at the USO club at Bombay, many, many years back and the after dinner drive through the Marine Drive on our bikes at prohibitive speeds! Life could not have been greater than that - carefree and daring to take on life at our terms!!

No comments:

Post a Comment