Friday, December 12, 2014

The three extraordinary gentlemen.

I'm gonna talk about three gentlemen who provide essential services to us. Without them, I wonder as to how we could have lived hassle free in this comparatively new set of surroundings. Each one of them is ordinary, living a busy life and contended with what he has and that's the extraordinary part of their lives. I shall dwell on each individual based on the time of the day that I come across them and therefore, begin my thoughts without any further ado.

  (a) Ramakrishnan, the newspaperman.

   A frail man in his mid 40s, whose wiry frame pedals the bicycle through the roads and by lanes
   of our neighbourhood every morning at a furious speed, he has a disarmingly simple outlook
   towards life. His family consists of his wife and a school going daughter, who, incidentally,
   monitors all the calls that come on his newly acquired possession - a cellphone! He doesn't take
   even a day off because he 'doesn't want his customers - whose day commences well only with the
   day's newspaper having arrived on time - to feel the pinch owing to his absence!'

   Recently, much to my horror, I'd seen him sport a swollen leg while going about his daily duty.
   When I told him that he needed urgent medical attention and rest, his quick retort was, "Sir, there's
   no one to substitute me and moreover, these things come and go and as it is, since I'm on a cycle
   there's no undue pressure". Ultimately, he'd to take a few days off as the pain had gotten out of
   hand. But that's the story of his dedication.

   (b) Pushpaakaran, the farm labourer.

   Short, stout and dark with long, curled tresses, he gives the impression of a 'godman' at first
   sight. He's a fund of knowledge about plants, soil and all things concerning his work and the
   best part about him is that he's a green thumb. Never have I seen a person who empathises with
   his wards - the trees and the plants. He, too, is in his mid 40s.

   He works for our elderly neighbours, who'd brought him years back from his native village in
   Kozhikode and given him a piece of their land to build his house. Over the past year, he's gotten
   to be friendly with us and has offered not only suggestions but also helped us to streamline our
   modest kitchen garden and the tuft of Mexican grass on the forecourt.

   He's two children, who're school going and I usually cross him riding his bicycle to work when
   I'm on my morning walk. He, too, doesn't miss a single day because, to put it in his words, "Sir,
   just like you walk to maintain your health, I need to do work to stay fit".

   (c) Kumar, the laundry man.

   Short, dark and handsome, he hails from Tamilnadu and has been staying here for the last 20 years
   and more. He's, however, maintained his roots and goes to his hometown during important
   occasions. His elder daughter is graduating in Arts while his son is doing his class XII. His
   visage, pushing a well oiled trolley with the press and accessories, is a familiar sight and he makes
   it a point to visit us, once every week. He's, again, hovering in the mid 40s!

   He's never missed his tryst even once and if at all, for some unavoidable reasons, he's unable to
   make it, he sends his brother to do the honours and with a disarming smile he says, "You should not
   suffer because of me".

There, I've told you the story of the three ordinary men with extraordinary thinking. It's people like them who make us feel secure and complete. May their ilk grow and my prayers that they get whatever they aspire for!


Tailpiece.

The manner in which we maintain our relationship, do we have a cosmic reason to stay connected, I wonder?!
        

   

No comments:

Post a Comment