Monday, March 23, 2015

A favourite cousin.

Rajasree. She's the second daughter of Ramadasan Kochachan and Sarojini chittamma - Ramadasan Kochachan is my dad's younger brother, who resides in Nasik.

They've three daughters - Jayasree, Rajasree and Jyothisree, in their order of seniority. Of the three girls, Rajee as she's popularly known in the family and among her friends, is full of life and outgoing. She makes friends easily and has a wide circle of friends, who drop in to spend time with her in their beautiful home on a small stretch of the Goan beach.

Rajee and Anil have a son and a daughter who're pursuing professional courses. Their world seemed to be full of fun, frolic and laughter. Probably, they'd too much of their share of good luck because disaster has struck the family. Both of Rajee's kidneys have failed and she needs dialysis periodically. She's to undergo a kidney transplant, in a reputed hospital in Bombay, shortly and her elder sister has volunteered to donate one of her's!

I'd come to know about it only yesterday when kochachan had called me up to arrange for a suitable accommodation at Bombay - to facilitate the attendants' stay in the vicinity of the hospital - for about a month. I was angry with Rajee for having brought it upon herself because she's the perpetual do gooder - always worried about the others while being least bothered about her own self. She'd lost the sight of her right eye, in a similar fashion, for not having got it treated on time because her then infant son was going through a difficult health situation, many years ago.

I believe, being a teacher, she hated missing on her classes at school lest her students lost valuable time in their studies. Any pain, therefore, like headaches, toothaches and what have you were 'sorted out' with pain killers. Though she got short term relief, her kidneys were taking a beating all these years and in the end, succumbed to the savagery!

A mistake that many of us commit. We're all doctors without having studied Medicine and administer medicines on ourselves and to our near and dear with a gay abandon drawing deep into the shallow knowledge of medicines acquired from magazines and television commercials!

With the excellent medical facilities that are available in our country I'm sure that Rajasree will beat this emergency and come out hale and hearty. But I'm angry with her for the appalling situation that she's gotten herself into.


Tailpiece.

I shall end this with an anecdote to show as to why I like her more than any of my other cousins from my dad's side. Years ago, when we're kids, while playing on the riverbank at Trimbak I'd seen her trying to walk on my footsteps that were imprinted on the sand. When queried as to why she was doing so, without any hesitation she'd said and I quote, "I'll go my chettan's way as I'm very, very fond of him".    

No comments:

Post a Comment