Saturday, March 14, 2015

Day 14 - Tryst with Palakkad put off due to 'hartal'!

The drive back was on a solemn note as we could not complete the 'yatra' as desired. Incidentally, I'd driven through the same road about three years back to drop my nephew at his college and its condition, then, was pathetic to the point of there being no worthwhile surface to drive on! In contrast, Nixon, our 'saarthi', found the highway to be good, though narrow, on a few stretches!

We reached my point of disembarkation at Guruvayur, around an hour past midnight. My younger uncle had also got down with me as he wanted to pay obeisance at the temple and continue with his journey to Kidangoor, later this evening after the hartal hours got over. Before getting off the vehicle, I'd handed over the breakup of accounts for the last ten days to Maman and had added up the last three entries during the trip, post dinner.

When I was handing over the papers and connected bills, Gopalakrishna Pillai sir commented on my systematic maintenance of the log of expenses and I'd to reiterate my belief on this score which was, "There's no relationship when it comes to matters of money because the accounts ought to be ready for the strictest of scrutiny at all times as public money is never one's own". Period!  

It's a quiet day after what seemed to be a long time. My uncle had gone to the temple in the morning for his tryst with the Lord. My mom was given a detail round up of the 'yatra' and she did have quite a few pointed queries regarding its planning and execution.

The 'hartal' was complete as no one wanted to take any chance of venturing out for fear of backlash from the LDF guys. Moreover, such are the times when the anti-social elements take advantage and it's better to be prudent than to be foolishly adventurous! But what was on everybody's lips was the big question as to why a 'hartal' was called on a second Saturday, when most of the the central governmental institutions and schools were closed!! It makes no effect, you see.

The answer was not very difficult to figure. The UDF had won a tactical victory in that their Finance Minister had 'technically' presented the budget on the floor of the House against the LDF's call, over the last few weeks, that they'd prevent the FM from presenting it at all costs! The hartal was basically to cover that pyhrric victory!!


Tailpiece.

The few people that I'd come across during my customary walk, this evening, did inquire about my long absence from the circuit. My movements are being noted, huh!?  

No comments:

Post a Comment