Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Maintaining a tradition!

The annual festivals of the temples are taking place with a remarkable regularity, all over the state, in these months. The 'Kosapilli temple' at my dad's place - it belonged to my paternal grandmother's family and handed over to the government by my grandfather years ago - is celebrating its annual festival during the coming week.

Dad had been contributing towards the entire range of expenses to feed everyone, who come to pray at the temple, over the entire one week of the festival. I've been continuing with what my dad had been doing despite my earlier reservations which I used to put across to him, during many of our discussions when he was around - the argument being that most of the traditions were followed by the elitist Nair families to show off their power and pelf to the others and did not have noble causes.

My opinion on the subject hasn't changed even now but I continue with the traditions on two counts:-

        (a) My dad had wanted it to be done and so will it continue without anymore questions being
             asked.
        (b) Mom should not be pained by any action of mine and I know that she wants it done as
             before.

I'd transferred the requisite amount into our caretaker's bank account and I'm sure he'll do the needful. In fact, he takes pride in the fact that he's doing it on our behalf. As regards to the question as to whether the temple authorities would provide the best food, without our supervision, my answer - at the risk of sounding too naive - would be that anyone who does otherwise will be taught a lesson by the good Lord. None of us, from the immediate family, will be there during the festival due to other commitments.

Not very long ago, when my grandparents were alive, everyone from the family was expected to visit the temple twice everyday during such occasions - one, in the morning and the other, in the evening and my grandfather ensured that everything went off well during the festival, with the standard of food provided to the people maintained at immaculate levels.

Time has passed.......... priorities are changing...........and traditions followed, to the extent feasible!


Tailpiece.

Today's sad news that a young IAS officer had committed suicide in Bangalore - the family insists that he was driven to it - because of pressures at his work where he'd dared to take on the powerful builders' mafia for their wrongdoings. RIP, DK Ravi! We hang our heads in shame for your untimely end. Here's wishing that the culprits are brought to book at the earliest and may your near and dear ones have the strength to tide over these difficult times.






No comments:

Post a Comment