Saturday, March 7, 2015

Day 7 - Ernakulam.

We're up with the lark as usual and were ready well in time. The idea was to beat the traffic and that's exactly what we did by setting off from the guest house by 0830h. Consequently, we'd reached the venue almost an hour and a half earlier and was pleasantly surprised with the RTO staff giving instructions about maintaining good road discipline to about 200 ladies and gentlemen who'd got their learner's licence but were soon going for the test! It's a pleasant revelation and I did compliment the RTO personnel for their safety drive.

Our meeting started off at 1100h and my Maman was quite sure that the strength wouldn't exceed 30 from past experience but the number of participants did exceed well beyond 60, at the final count. The interaction was nice, the enthusiasm was palpable but we've a long way to go in this district. The panchayats are yet to get their training aids and we emphasised upon this aspect so that we could get our team to charge the trainers which would eventually trickle down to the learners.

We need to have a crackling co-ordinator out there and this point has been put down as the foremost point on my check off list. The present one is too lax and is found wanting in 'crowd control' - I mean people take her for granted, she needs to be more effective!

The proceedings were wound up by 1430h but we'd to get back into the lousy traffic of the city to help out a lady staff of ours, grappling with a legal problem. So my Maman went to meet her advocate and I dropped in at my cousin's - another advocate - office. She's has had her toe nail removed and had her right foot bandaged!

We're off to Thrissur by about 1600h and reached the city by sunset time. I got dropped at the private bus stand to catch the bus for Guruvayur while the team had proceeded to the government guest house for their night stay. Lekha's younger sister, her two sons and mother-in-law had arrived from Tirur earlier in the evening. When I'd pressed the doorbell, I found the two mothers exchanging notes and I too joined in the conversation, narrating my experiences thus far in the 'yatra'.


Tailpiece.

Lekha and her sister were told of my experiences after supper, that was a trifle late as they'd been to the temple when I'd arrived.


No comments:

Post a Comment