Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A train of thoughts.

The media was all agog with excitement at having caught three BJP leaders in helping 'Lalit Modi' - who's wanted in this country for his dubious dealings when he was the Commissioner of IPL Cricket. Since the media is picking on the dirt and acquiring all related evidence, there's no point in speaking about it at this juncture.

But I must confess my fondness for the two ladies - Sushma Swaraj and Vasundhara Raje Scindhia - because both are articulate, know their ropes(At least I thought so, till this episode has blown up) and when they speak, the people listen! The trial by the media is on and it would be just a matter of time when they'll have to vacate their exalted positions except if both can cough up some valid alibi. The matter of a 'conflict of interest' will continue to linger which will take a long time to wish away!

Wonder who's advising Rahul Gandhi these days? His statement that the Bullet Trains when introduced in this country, will only help the 'suited and booted' people smacks of crassness born out of a complete ignorance of political posturing. Someone needs to tell the guy that political posturing doesn't mean finding fault with his opponent for anything and everything he does. A good leader is one who has the flexibility to accept the good decisions of his opponent while picking on his mistakes/anti-people policies.

In his new(?) avatar, after his mysterious absence for almost two months, he has nothing to provide as a stirring vision for his country. I'd like to seriously ask him as to whether he doesn't like his country to have the best and state-of-the-art services? Doesn't he want his countrymen to enjoy a better standard of living? Why is he being anti-life?

The passing away of Charles Correa - one of the outstanding architects of this country and a champion of affordable housing - yesterday, brought back some very personal memories.

It was in autumn '77 when I was a Midshipman on board the Indian Naval Ship Beas. As the Liaison Officer, I was designated to pick him up by a half past 6 in the morning, from his immaculate flat at the Napean Sea Road, to the jetty off the Gateway of India, so that he could join the other guests on the naval ships earmarked for the 'Prime Minister's day at sea'.

Even though,I'd worked out the transit time the previous day, I'd fetched up at his apartment, about 10 minutes earlier than the appointed time. He was in the process of getting ready and was in his dressing gown as he opened the door. The gracious host that he was, he had his wife provide me with a piping hot cup of coffee with biscuits. I must have been into my third sip of the brew when he'd come out to join me, fully dressed and ready to leave. Since I didn't want to delay him because of my indulgence, I'd asked for a couple of ice cubes into my coffee - he didn't seem to be sure that I would have my coffee in that manner but had played along!


Tailpiece.

Long after the serial was over, my Captain was very curious to know as to what I'd done to have an architect as my ardent admirer! ........Years later, when I was staying at the Tarangini Apartments smack on Kochi's coastline, I'd written to him appreciating his concept of urban architecture and wasn't he gracious in his gratitude?             

No comments:

Post a Comment