Tuesday, June 16, 2015

What's there to discuss?

I was quite amused by a recent survey that has been conducted regarding misbehaviour towards the elders by the younger generation. Am particularly amused by the fact that there seems to be an option to treat the older generation with respect and look after them or to leave them to themselves with their problems et all!

I must hasten to add that the findings of the survey did not surprise me a wee bit. I shall underscore my statement with what I've observed and also from the narrations of a wide cross section of the people that I've the privilege of interacting with while on the Foundation's duties.

The little children watch how their parents behave with their parents and grandparents. Sadly, many of us dictate terms to our elders from the 'perch' of our professional accomplishments. What good is all the professional accolades when one is a bad human being? Recently, an incident had come to light where an elderly lady had been complaining about an irritation in her eyes but her son and daughter-in-law could not spare the time for taking her to the doctor and the old lady had finally ended up being completely blind on one eye and partially blind on the other.

I never tire of saying this story again and again. I've befriended an elderly lady staying in an old age home. My reaction on seeing her for the first time was, "How can her children be so heartless to leave such a good looking mother at a shelter?" Mind you, she has four children, each of them well placed in society holding high positions in their respective professional hierarchy, but seem to have difficulty in accommodating the mother along with them - due to their busy schedule, if you please.

And no, she bears no ill will towards anyone. Of the ten grandchildren that she has, none have forged a relationship with her as yet but she's sure that quite a few of them, if not all, will come to her once they are free from their parents' control.

I could only pity the grandchildren's plight because they're missing the care and love of their grandmother which is very important towards the overall development of their personality! In contrast, I consider myself having been so lucky to have received unrestricted love, affection and knowledge from my paternal as well as my maternal grandparents. And for that singular reason, I shall ever remain grateful to my parents.

Looking after one's parents and behaving nicely with the elders is not an option. It's a duty that one has to perform in the course of one's life.


Tailpiece.

I shan't blame the children for their bad behaviour. It's their parents who've let them down and they need to be shunned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment