Sunday, June 21, 2015

An embarrassment that could have been avoided.

One takes care never to embarrass a potential host during a visit or a call. The following measures are usually taken to avoid heart burns:-

      (a) Call up well in advance to pass on the intentions and ascertain as to whether it's convenient for             the host to entertain you.
      (b) Provide the host the details of the visiting group.
      (c) To the extent feasible avoid meal timings, siesta time etc.
      (d) If the host had an outing/errand prior to your visit allow him a reasonable time to settle down
            before you make your entry.

Today we, as the host, were embarrassed. Actually, a couple of days earlier, our relative had called to tell us that he and his wife would like to meet Lekha because they couldn't look her up while in hospital. I'd told him that the formality of a call could be avoided especially because his wife goes for work - she teaches in a school near their place. He was, however, coordinating his movements with his daughter's visit to the temple town with her husband and his folks.

I'd explained the present position existent in our house as Lekha was recouping, with the maid helping us with the household chores and the consequent difficulty to lodge them at our place. He seemed to understand my story and added that they'd make it on Sunday, for a short while, since it wasn't considered auspicious to call on a medically unwell person on a Saturday! I was glad that the matter was closed once for all and that he was finally, able to see my point of view but that was not to be.

Later in the day, he was insistent that he spent the night at our place and it was then that I'd to repeat my stand with the final tag that he could chose his option the way he found it convenient! I think better sense prevailed upon them and their Saturday visit to our place was dumped and we're informed that they'd be dropping by for a very short while, around 1100h, before they returned.

This afternoon, they finally fetched up at 5 past 1, as we'd just begun to have our lunch. It was embarrassing to continue - my mom and Lekha's requirement to have lunch at 1, notwithstanding -
but they said that we could continue and that they would watch us have it because they'd just finished a heavy lunch in a nearby hotel.

I need not go into the details of how we finished lunch in the circumstances...... I shan't forget the afternoon for a very long time to come.


Tailpiece.

Much after they'd left, I was wondering as to why they chose that time to call on. Was it that they're miffed at my not allowing them to come in the previous day? I'm lost on that!    

No comments:

Post a Comment