Sunday, June 14, 2015

Mom returns.

After almost seventy days, mom's back with us. We'd dropped her at my sister's place at Palakkad because of Lekha's impending hospitalisation and surgery on the tenth of last month. Though it was a necessary arrangement, for her it was nightmarish to spend the forenoons all by herself when my sister and brother-in-law were off for work.

"I used to watch the television for a while, read books and magazines and take naps", my mother answered in reply to the question as to how she spent her time when she was all by herself at home. I'd offered to drop her at the Bangalore residence of my second kid sister, but for some reasons she'd turned it down. She detests long journeys - though I try to have frequent stops enroute - and "Bangalore gives me the impression that I'm too far away from you."

They'd arrived by about a quarter to 4, in the evening and after an hour or so my sister, brother-in-law and Achu were on their return trip. And mom began to get used to the changed circumstances - consequent to Lekha's confinement, post surgery - in right earnest.  For us, it was back to the earlier times with long flowing conversations laced with mom's humorous interludes. She has updated herself on the list of people - both, relatives and friends - who'd dropped by during her absence and will systematically, call each one of them from tomorrow to tell them as to how "she'd missed seeing them and would love to see them as early as possible."

Already, three of our friends living in the vicinity have promised to drop by tomorrow itself and our immediate neighbour was the first to call on, soon after her arrival. By their reactions, it was obvious that they too were missing her company all these days. Even more than us, I wonder?


Tailpiece.

The reality was that I'd wanted my mom to spend another ten days at my sister's so that I could concentrate on her requirements once Lekha's hospital visits had tapered. But mom was ready to tide over those 'rough patches' and was insistent that she returned. Her lonely mornings were too much to bear, perhaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment