Wednesday, December 28, 2016

....After 29 yrs!

My senior and friend, Ravi Ponapa had told me all about Harpreet and Jeetinder. Harpreet was the harbour master at Bombay and is known among us for his fantastic sense of humour. To quote an example from way back in time when we're shipmates at Coimbatore, we're having the 'Husband's Nite' and sometime during the festivities, there was a call for a group photograph with the 'ladies and the bachelors'. Harpreet quietly pipes up to say that the photograph after that would be with the 'bachelors and the husbands!' And all hell broke loose!!

He's like that and I hope that he continues to be so, even now, as it's my firm belief that the fundamentals never change. Jeetinder, on the other hand, was quiet but active with the Navy Wives' Welfare activities. After I'd moved out of Coimbatore for my command in '87, we'd never come across each other during our service careers.

I'd tried the residential number twice last week but to no avail as it was continuously engaged. This morning I'd made another try after the nudge from Ravi sir, last evening and phew, I got through to Jeetinder.

.......More than 29 yrs later! As luck would have it, there was something wrong with either of our phones. I could hear her clearly while she could hear me faintly but we managed to establish communication. After hearing that I was settled at Guruvayur, her request was that I should pray for her......she'd met with an accident following which she has been bedridden but is recuperating, slowly but steadily. She has said that she'd visit us once she gets well.

It, definitely, did give me a nice feeling and I was reminded of the numerous times that I'd spent with the gracious couple.

        *                                     *                                       *

After three days of antibiotics, Lekha is on a sure path to recovery from the wretched cold but mine is gonna take some time as it's only the second day but the cough is less harsh! The cold seems to be catching on as the weather is tricky with warm days and nippy nights!


Tailpiece.

We wished Padmakumar many happy returns, right in the morning before he left for the office. Actually, we're prompted to it by the numerous messages in our family group on What'sApp. Had mom been there, she'd have told us well in advance about the date and would insist on being the first to wish him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment