Wednesday, December 14, 2016

The evening at Raj Nivas.

We're up with the lark and got ready leisurely as we'd to be at the venue of the wedding only by a half past 10. After a sumptuous breakfast of 'appam and stew', we're off for the venue by 10. Vishnu, from my office, had come to collect a few papers and my personal effects.

The wedding was well organised and I must compliment Lekshmi and Aniyan for the meticulous manner that they had put in to pull off a glitch less event. Here's us wishing Gayathri and Anoop everything that they wish for. The couple is off to Switzerland on Anoop's professional jaunt which will be combined as their honeymoon outing!

We're, then, off to Paravoor to look up Kurup Kochachhan and bought the red bananas that he's fond of, from a shop at the outskirts of Kollam. Boy, didn't we surprise them - kochachhan and Vijayan Kurup, his nurse. Prayed at Leela kunjamma's cremation site. We'd spent about an hour before we set off for Kottarakkara. He looks good and was responding well during the process of our conversation. He's the senior most member of the PN Panicker family at 89 yrs. He has been advised to avoid sweet foods as his blood sugar has gone up and from that viewpoint, our pack of bananas was misplaced. Seeing our discomfiture, he said, "Don't you worry, the doctor has only told me to be careful and these would not upset the readings".

The drive to Kottarakkara via Chathannoor was nice and we fetched up at Letha's (Lekha's elder sister) place about half an hour later. After a bit of conversation with Murukesan and while the sisters were exchanging notes I caught up with my 40 winks! Soon after tea we set off for Raj Nivas and as I'd said earlier, I was very excited to reach there. After opening up the house, I'd gone to talk to my mom and dad at their resting place. I'd told them about why we're here and also our subsequent programme. It did give me a nice feeling. Grass and weeds have once again sprouted all over the area and the caretaker has been to have them removed shortly, after the rains cease..

Sasi, the president of the local unit of the Nair Service Society, had dropped by about 8 o'clock and I handed over Rs.2 grand as advance towards the booking of the Thrikkonnamarkodu Devi Temple's auditorium for the conduct of Ammu's wedding on 21 May '17. By doing so, the major milestones towards Ammu's betrothal ceremony and the wedding are now, firmly in place.

The evening was quiet but we did have a stream of visitors and most of them were keen to know as to when we'd return to stay there permanently. The sitting room is crowded with the photographs of my paternal and maternal grandparents, mom and dad and by just looking at them, I got the feeling that they're all there, watching us!


Tailpiece.

21 May also happens to be Rema and Padmakumar's 27th wedding anniversary. A cake needs to be cut and their great day remembered in a fitting manner!

No comments:

Post a Comment