Monday, September 11, 2017

How I put my foot into my mouth!

Babu chettan of Neelamperoor had arrived, by about 9, to spend the morning with us. His elder daughter is in Madras while the younger one is at Coimbatore. Ever since the death of his wife, he has been shuttling between Madras, Coimbatore and Kottayam, where he has his own house. He leads a lonely life and has quite a few medical problems to add to his woes.

After taking his permission, I'd darted out of the house for running an errand. There was a heavy rush at the bank and I saw that both, the manager and Subha were busy taking care of the customers. There was Raju, the peon-cum-messenger, who was sitting free and he took care of all that I'd gone for. I suppose his experience and cross training has made him a Jack of all trades! I could return home without much delay and could continue with my interaction with Babu chettan.

He left after his evening tea, fondly remembering mom's presence during his last visit. We met him later on in the evening at the Guruvayur Town hall where the wedding reception of Ajith and Raveena was on. It was a well organised event and we're introduced to many of the couple's friends. We're then called for a photograph with the newly wedded couple.

It was there that I'd put my foot into my mouth, something that I've been doing over the years! On wishing Raveena, I'd told her, "You're looking good in your natural self. Yesterday, your beautician hadn't done justice to your appearance". Lekha, later on, told me that the poor thing had stiffened on hearing me which I must frankly admit that I did not notice. What no one understood was that I was just being nice.

          *                                   *                                     *

The rains have been ongoing and from the latest meteorological information, the rains of the south west monsoon will cease by the end of this month and by mid October, the north east monsoon will be on its way bringing in plenty of rain. The caretaker of the 'Raj Nivas' had called up to say that the weeds around the rubber saplings were getting to be unmanageable and needed to be removed, the rains notwithstanding. It would require 23 men to do the work @ Rs.700/- per head after which the appropriate fertilisers will be applied. The requisite amount was transferred into his account forthwith as the work will commence tomorrow.

Agriculture demands periodic attention, the promptness with which one gets the work done will ensure the availability of the workers - we've still been using the local manpower instead of the immigrant labour.



Tailpiece.

Padmakumar, my brother-in-law is down with Chicken pox. My sister says that he's in bad shape. Get well soon, Padmakumar!




No comments:

Post a Comment