Monday, December 4, 2017

Finally, it's just the two of us!

Since there was nothing much planned for the earlier part of the day, I'd decided to take it easy and sleep till 6 AM. But it was not to be. In fact, I'd got up by 5 and gone through the chores before Mini and Lekha had woken up. In the meanwhile, Rema and gang had reached Palakkad, and their home, by a half past 3! I marvel at their stamina to cover their journeys by night so that the entire daytime is available for doing productive work. For me, sleep while traveling by bus doesn't work especially so when one has to break journey sometime during the night! And with Lekha in tow, I avoid all such combinations!!

We left for Ayoor - around 25 kms away, amid mad traffic and narrow roads - by a 10' to 10. I took the Veliyam-Odanavattom route and reached Sanil's house by a half past 10. Sanil's mom was taking a stroll in the courtyard and she kept telling us to have lunch and return. We'd to refuse her politely but what was important was that she looked healthier and cheerful - a pleasant change from what we'd seen of her, last time. Mini will go off to Kollam tomorrow, meet up with more of Sanil's relations and will return to Bangalore, the day after tomorrow. Of late, she has been having medical problems and is having medicines but I feel that she's not taking adequate care of herself which worries me.

After days of boisterous company, it was a quiet lunch with just the two of us!

My director was down with medical problems and hence, the day's programmes stood cancelled. It was a serious blow and I considered the remainder of my stay out here, wasteful and unproductive. Vishnu and Jayakrishnan - from my office - had dropped by to give me a resume of the training being carried out, the highlights and the lowdown, at every stage, which was a great education. I'd followed it up with discussions - one to one - over the telephone with the concerned trainers to collect more information that would help me suggest course corrections, if required. This was a poor substitute for my actual presence at each of those venues, I concede, but I couldn't waste time and had to make good with the best available back up to tide over the hopeless situation that had emerged.

After the duo had left, Soman, the supervisor of our telephone exchange and his son had dropped by. It was basically, a counseling session since the boy is 24 years of age and has still not found a suitable job for himself. He refuses to apply for jobs because he feels that he doesn't stand a chance while competing with the 'more competent' ones. I talked to the youngster and took on the role of a counselor and by the end of it, he's agreed to follow a few points that I've suggested. Yes and he's the boy whose professional career has been 'assured' by my mom to his father! She thought that her son could sort out everyone's problems in the neighbourhood.

Later, our caretaker was briefed about the jobs to be done over the next few weeks.


Tailpiece.

Mohanachandran's medical bulletin.

"Today in the morning Mohan was seated on a chair, in the presence of his sons. He was trying to hold the head in position. The doctors say that it is a good sign. When called, he was trying to respond and also trying to speak, but the tongue and lips were moving in a distorted manner. Pray for his speedy recovery". From Vipinachandran.    

No comments:

Post a Comment