Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Two personalities, behavioural patterns.

Today was yet another day when I realised that I could be absolutely out of my depth, despite adequate preparation, towards getting a job done. I'd decided to do the linking up of our Aadhaar cards with the mutual fund accounts and the insurance policies. I'd spoken with the manager at the insurance yesterday who'd told me that a copy of the Aadhaar card was all that was enough for doing the linking.

I'd embarked on it because the coming days were gonna be busy for us and I'd to beat the deadline given by the government to link up one's Aadhaar with all the assets before 31 Dec.

Accordingly, armed with the necessary papers I'd made a visit to the insurance office first. Unfortunately, the manager was absent on leave as he'd suddenly taken ill. The lady - her name's Raji - after hearing out my requirement, said that a copy of Lekha's Aadhaar card which I'd offered was to be self attested and her PAN card was also necessary. My visit, next, to the bank necessitated my having to return home to get Lekha's letter requesting for the merger of her two savings bank accounts into one.

I was angry with myself for having missed out on such details - I should have spoken to the bank manager before making it out there but had not considered it necessary, as we'd already spoken about it during my last visit! It was getting to be lunch time and I made a dash home, got the letter made, the attestation done by Lekha and went in Vipin's auto rickshaw. All of 26 years, he was an epitome of good behaviour and he took me to the insurance center. There was a glitch again as the lady said that a xerox copy of the PAN card was required. Vipin, who'd agreed to wait on me took me, to a place nearby for the same, through the rains that had begun to pour and I'd left the umbrella back at home after my first, unsuccessful errand!

Raji sounded apologetic and said that the two insurance policies would be linked up with the Aadhaar within 48 hrs. She, then, asked me to replicate 'Lekha's signature' on the freshly xeroxed copy of the PAN card. I quietly refused saying that I'd never done such a thing in my life, thus far. She, then, changed tack almost immediately, saying that I could certify that Lekha was my wife instead, which I did! Her sheepishness was evident as I took leave of her on completion of all the formalities!!

Then, I went through the work at the bank without further glitches. The rains had stopped and on reaching home, when I asked Vipin about the fare I'd to pay, he'd asked for a modest amount which I knew was low taking into consideration the errand that he'd undertaken and the total period of wait. I'd made amends and paid him more than what he'd asked for, going by my previous experiences. His cryptic answer was, "Sir, you're kind to me". I could only tell him that he must take the right fare from the customers because that was his right......Did I have a lump in my throat?

Raji's request to me was funny but what I could make out was that she was accustomed to doing it earlier and customers were willing to go by her diktat, though it was incorrect! And thanks Vipin for the valuable lesson that you taught me today.

And the evening news headlines screamed, "Deadline to link Aadhaar with bank a/cs and others extended to 31 Mar '18!"



Tailpiece.

Mohanachandran's medical bulletin.

"Daytime fever has caused an infection in the area of surgery around the skull and a swelling has developed. The doctors have said that if the swelling does not subside within 24 hrs, they'd go in for another surgery to ease the pressure. His Hb count has stabilised after the infusion of the blood". From Suresh Laxman.    

No comments:

Post a Comment