Saturday, December 23, 2017

It's been six years...

Laila Samson, the elegant wife of the late Admiral BA Samson, had passed into the mist of time this date, six years ago. Her poise, grace and charm made her unique and adorable. I've had some very interesting times with the couple while they lived at Bandra.

Our friendship goes back to my days at INS Agrani, Coimbatore during the mid '80s. They used to go to Bombay, quite often, from Coonoor where they stayed and drop by at our Mess for an overnight stay and it was during those visits that we'd got close. In fact, Chhotu, their lovable Dachshund, was another frequent visitor!

In '11, during my tenure as the Movement Control Officer, Kochi, I'd to make quarterly visits to Madras, on official duty, which I looked forward to very eagerly because it gave me an opportunity to meet up with the old lady. Those were great times and I used to enjoy every moment of my being with her. I would like to believe that our togetherness has a cosmic link!

I miss you ma'am!

     *                               *                                *

2. Radhan Chettan and Sathi Chechi Drop By.

Radhan chettan and Sathi chechi had dropped by around 11 AM. They'd bought us a packet of home made banana chips because they know that I'm fond of the snack. I've told them many a time not to get things for me in return for the little that I do for them but it seems that my pleas have fallen on deaf ears! They'd come by today because they know of our movement to Paravoor in Kollam, to celebrate Kurup kochachhan's 90th birthday on Christmas day. We leave for my parents' place tomorrow morning by 6 AM.

It will also help me see the work that has been completed earlier this week in the field around the house. Till now the rubber trees have been growing on the ridges prepared by the JCB about a year and a half back. 47 people over a period of ten days had pulled mud across each tree to have a long platform for each row of trees which will help the tappers, later at their work.

We shall be staying at my parents' place tomorrow night and head for Paravoor, early morning on Christmas day, to partake in the birthday celebrations. The last time that we all had conglomerated there was during Leela kunjamma's funeral and the connected ceremonies, six years ago........ How time flies? We'd be returning that afternoon itself.


Tailpiece.

Mohanachandran's medical bulletin.

"No change since the last sitrep". From K Vipinachandran.


No comments:

Post a Comment