Friday, April 20, 2018

A short outing.

Had got up around 4 AM to the rest room and after that break in sleep when I'd opened my eyes subsequently, it was a quarter past 6. Felt guilty for being late because the doors and the windows of Raj Nivas used to be open, on the dot at 6 during my parents' times. Quickly went through the chores, lit the lamp in the puja room, got the devotional songs flowing from the selected channel, cleaned up our Chevy with the rainwater that was available all over it thanks to the last night's rain, recited my prayers and then, went on to wash the bed linen that were submersed, last evening, in soap water.

By the time I was ready it was almost 10 but the bath didn't seem to have any effect because of the prevalent heat. John, an ex-state road transport corporation's driver, was the chauffeur for the day because I wasn't keen to drive. He seemed to be happy to do the errand because as per his inputs, he'd become very choosy about the driving assignments as he was in his early 70s.

The trip via Lekha's house was swift and uneventful with me listening to John's narration of his trip to Adelaide, Australia to be with his son and his family six months back. His daughter, along with her husband and son, were staying close by and he seemed to be a contended grandfather. We reached our destination before 11, the time set for the meeting but there was an embarrassing moment as we entered the road, I missed the office - the chairman had missed the office! - and had to be talked to the place over the telephone. Bad show, Rajeev!

The meeting had begun in right earnest and the points were sorted out one after the other. By the time we moved in for lunch, most of the decisions were given. The working lunch was nice and after that the session was rounded off after deliberating over a couple of points! And we left soon after. Had picked up a kg of the red skinned bananas from a shop enroute and headed straight to meet up with Kurup kochachhan. He looked good and I'd woken him up from his siesta. His nurse gave him a banana and he savoured every bit of it!

It was nice seeing him and to hear him talk - he said some very nice words about my parents and wondered as to how I'd remembered to get him the fruit that he was fond of. After bidding him farewell, I'd gone around the corner and as I passed by his room, I found that he'd gone off to sleep making me feel guilty for having woken him up. His nurse, Vijayan Kurup, is doing a good job of taking care of him.

The return trip was uneventful again and we'd crossed the auto rickshaw, carrying Lekha to the Kottarakkara Maha Ganapati kshetram who was on her way to have a glimpse of the annual festival and the associated lighting, at Kura ROB. Reached home and went about the evening chores. Lekha returned by Johnson's auto rickshaw by about a half past 7.

And it was a quiet evening thereafter!


Tailpiece.

John has volunteered to be my 'saarthi' for tomorrow, too. Tomorrow's is the Board of Management's meeting and it's gonna be held at the government guest house at Kollam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment