Monday, April 30, 2018

Small, little things yet important.

Today was the birthday of a very dear friend. I'd to convey my feelings to her daughter but due to a faux pas neither did I have her contact number nor was she on my What'sApp either. So relied on the good 'ole internet to send a mail. Her prompt reply assured me that my message was on time.......missing you, Laila Samson!

      *                 *                   *

It was the wedding day of Vishnu and Greeshma at the familiar Thrikkonnamarkodu Devi kshetram, close by - in its auditorium that is. The muhurtham was between 1130 and 1200 hrs. We'd fetched up at the venue by a quarter to 11 and had gone for a 'darshan' of the Goddess, which brought back old memories. We used to visit the temple frequently during our childhood days, my sister, Rema's marriage had taken place there on 21 May '89 with all our relations being present.

I made it a point to circumnavigate the temple on the outer circle and took in the scene, in the minutest sense. The temple tank, smack in the courtyard, the railway track(Kollam-Madras Egmore) as the western boundary, the Devi Vilasom High School towards the east end and the road to Kunnicode and onward to Punalur and Kottarakkara in front of the co-ed school! My sisters had studied in this school!!

       *                  *                  *

Met Sasikala, our ex-panchayat president, who was active as one of the servers in the dining hall. She'd sought my help for a needy family in refurbishing their miserable canvas hut and I'd assured her that I'd contribute my mite for the worthy cause. And wasn't she pleased?

        *                  *                   *

Soon after dropping Lekha at Raj Nivas and after a quick change, me and my sisters headed for my mom's pension disbursing bank. Ramakrishnan, a comparative youngster and a positive guy, was at the pension counter. Mom's 'lifetime arrears' was stuck for the want of dad's pension pay order(PPO) which was lost. It was only recently that I'd unearthed a 'corrigendum to the PPO' from his old papers and we'd gone across to find out as to whether it would suffice.

And he said it would. Unfortunately, I'd forgotten to carry supporting documents. Shall get them on 06 May, when I come for a two-day workshop on digital literacy at Kottarakkara. Mini and Sanil will also be with me, then! At least, the impasse has been removed!!

       *                   *                     *

Two gentlemen from the library next door had dropped by seeking a contribution towards their reading projects. I'd said that the state library council, under whom the library was, has been trying to prevent the PN Panicker Foundation from celebrating the Reading day and Week. A few of its top management viz. Adv Appukkuttan and Nambiar were behind this act of treachery. I'd, while assuring them of my contribution, posed the following questions:-

       (a) What's the council's locus standii in celebrating the Reading Day and Week when the
             concept and its execution for the past 22 years was the soul responsibility of the PN
             Panicker Foundation?
       (b) What wrong has PN Panicker done for which he's being crucified even after 23 years of
             his passing away?

They were told that I'd hand over my contribution only after the successful culmination of this year's Reading day and Month under the auspices of the PN Panicker Foundation.


Tailpiece.

1. Heartiest congratulations Vishnu and Greeshma. May you have a long and happy married life and here's us - Lekha and me - wishing you all that you wish for! Lekha had attended the evening reception while I did some packing for our trip back to Guruvayur, tomorrow.
2. It's gonna be a long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment