Sunday, April 1, 2018

Off to Thiruvananthapuram.

Had got up at 6, went through the chores and had finished my packing. The familiar pangs of having to leave Lekha and home, albeit for two days, was overwhelming. My neighbour had called up for an Easter do when I told him about my impending programme and requested him to be on standby for dropping me at the bus stand in the event of my not getting an auto rickshaw, due to the holiday.

Around a quarter past 11, I'd walked over to the stand and fixed up with the lone guy who happened to be there. He came along at 12, took a circuitous route as the Mammiyoor junction was clogged with traffic and I was at the bus stand, half an hour prior to my bus' departure. Could get the seat of my choice and the bus took off on the dot, on the same route which I'd driven a few days before, to attend Jayan's funeral..

I'd the packed lunch - the chappathies and egg masala combination was really nice - only after reaching the Vyttila hub, around 3, because the bus was crowded almost throughout. Meanwhile, I'd called up Nonu and was so glad that I did so just as his little son and Ankita had entered home from the hospital. The child's weight has come down to 1.5 kgs from 1.75 kgs at the time of birth. The doctor has recommended that the baby needed tending at home, with nourishment from his mom's milk and to be maintained in a sterile room, within the house. His maternal grandparents had already returned while his paternal grandparents were scheduled to fly out to Thiruvananthapuram later in the night. Nonu and Ankita have a nanny to look after their present needs.

The journey was uneventful except for the fact that I'd a nosy neighbour who'd to be told to keep off. He was finding my message alerts disturbing and I switched off my cellphone lest he got irritated further. Perhaps, he was reacting to my earlier directive to keep his hand off my seat's back rest! Was I brusque when I said that? I, too, can be nasty at times! The bus reached Kollam at a quarter past 6, quickly eased my bursting bladder @ Rs.3/-(The rate has been hiked from Rs.2/- and it's a recent happening!) and had a cup of tea before embarking a fast passenger to Thiruvananthapuram. It had a comely lady conductor who was efficient with a won't-brook-any-nonsense type of attitude. I'd the pleasant opportunity to observe her at work!

The journey was interrupted at many places, enroute, because of the numerous ongoing temple festivals which often spilled into the streets. I reached the Thampanoor bus stand by about 9 'o clock. Maman and Chambu had come by, soon after, to pick me up and we're at Maman's place by about a quarter to 10. It was a nice and cosy evening, catching up on the news, over a nice yet simple dinner.
It was an early night, comparatively!


Tailpiece.

Mini and gang had left Jayan's house by 3. Sanil and Mini had stayed put, for the night, at Ammu-Midhun's place at Coimbatore.

No comments:

Post a Comment