Sunday, July 29, 2018


UP based trader, Manoj Kumar Gupta had ordered a consignment of compost worth Rs.10 lakhs on 10 Nov '14. The goods train consisted of 21 wagons and it had to traverse a distance of about 1,300 kms from Visakhapatnam to Basti. While 20 wagons reached him on time, the 21st wagon was lost in transit and consequently, the trader put up a recovery claim on the Indian railways.

The missing wagon, ultimately, reached its destination on 25 Jul '18. based on inquiry, this is what the railway source had to say:-

      (a) The consignee never bothered to keep track of the goods.
      (b) The wagon was lying unattended in the yard, itself, at Vizag.
      (c) The wagon was possibly detached from the train as it was declared sick(Unfit to ferry).
      (d) Due to the apathy of the officials, the wagon was left unreported.

Now, what does one say about an organisation's apathy?

     *                       *                         *

I'd got a call, last night from the caretaker, inquiring as to whether he, along with his wife and son could visit us today and I'd given him the nod. The maid, who wasn't supposed to come today, was told about the sudden requirement and she'd agreed to come in, early in the morning and finish up the work within an hour. Accordingly, she'd fetched up and helped Lekha in the kitchen.

The three of them had left my dad's place by 4, in the morning. I'd called up around 8 o'clock to ascertain as to where they were. They were passing through Edakochi, they said. I knew that the youngster was driving on the GPS and accordingly, turned off westward from Aroor, which I wouldn't do. I didn't want to confuse him any further as he seemed to be comfortable driving on the instructions.

Earlier, I'd told him to take the Alwaye route on the NH544 as the highway was comparatively free of damages. It would have ensured an easy drive but that was not to be. They'd got on to the NH66 that had many deviations because of the huge potholes on the road, that confused them all through the transit.

They'd, consequently, fetched up around a half past 12. I'd homed them on to 'The Quarterdeck' which ensured that further time wasn't lost after reaching the outskirts of Guruvayur. Visanth, had retired from the IN and has now got a job at the Bangalore International Airport Limited, commensurate with his professional experience. He's reporting on 06 Aug and had wanted to seek my blessings(?) before leaving for Bangalore on the 4th.

After lunch and by a half past 2, they were limbering up to do the return stretch. We'd asked them to take rest after the meal, visit the temple and then proceed homeward. They would hear nothing of it and the caretaker had quipped, "Sir, for us meeting up with you is like seeing Guruvayurappan".

I was left fumbling for words! Had rerouted them via Thrissur. They were thrilled with the hassle free drive and wished they'd used it on their onward trip, too. They were, eventually, back at their place by a half past 10.

It was nice of them to drop by.


Shared by Advait Verma, Army Public School, Ambala Cantt.

We both left home at 18.
You cleared JEE,
I got recommended.
You got IIT,
I got NDA.
You pursued your degree,
I had the toughest training.
Your day started at 7 and ended at 5,
Mine started at 4 till 9 and some nights included.
You had your convocation ceremony.
I had my POP.
Best company took you and best package was awarded,
I was ordered to join my paltan with two stars pipped on my shoulders.
You got a job
I got a way of life.
Every eve you got to see your family,
I just wished I got to see my parents soon.
You celebrated festivals with lights and music,
I celebrated with my comrades in bunkers.
We both married,
Your wife got to see you everyday,
My wife just wished I was alive.
You were sent on business trips,
I was sent on line of control.
We both returned,
Both wives couldn't control their tears, but
You wiped her but,
I couldn't.
Because I was lying in the coffin,
With medals on my chest and
Coffin wrapped with tricolour.
My way of life ended.
Yours continued.
We both left home at 18.


No comments:

Post a Comment