Thursday, July 5, 2018

Remembering Mom.

Had got up, on the dot at 4, thanks to the alarm and had gone through the chores but found that time was short! Anto had come at 20' past 5 and in the hurry, I'd forgotten my spectacles but thankfully, I remembered it well in time before reaching the outer gate, so that I could run back and retieve it but still forgot to apply the spray on my person - a man's vanity, huh!! We reached the station soon after, I saw Anto off and joined the queue that had, by then, begun to lengthen.

A traveller was shuffling around with his hand inside his wallet and I told him that he needed to join the line as all of us were standing in the queue for the same purpose. His answer, "My wife is already in the queue" - she was ahead of me - "I'm standing here to help her with additional money, if required". I must confess that I felt small and did not hesitate to apologise to him for my outburst!

Usually, the Madras Egmore-Guruvayur Express comes into the station after which the Guruvayur-Edamon Fast Passenger is flagged off. Today, there was a difference because the incoming train was late and I'd begun my journey, smack at a 5' to 6. I'd completed reciting the prayers much before the 25' run to Thrissur because I'd recited the 'Gayatri Mantra', out of turn, while at the Guruvayur station's platform as I didn't want my fellow travellers to notice my tryst with God!

The train was on time till about a half past 9, when it reached, Vaikom Road after which there were two prolonged halts, each of a half an hour's duration, as the track doubling work was going on and two trains had to be sent past. I'd downed Lekha's breakfast of dosas, chutney and a banana around a half past 8 while at Ernakulam. From Kottayam, the train had picked up speed and ran as though it was possessed; I got down at Kuri Halt and reached the Government Girls' Lower Primary School, Kura soon after, around 20' past 2.

The Headmistress, D Prasanna Kumari and the other guests were already there; the ward member, Ambili Dasappan joined us without much ado. The programme had begun at a half past 2 that consisted of a prayer rendered by four of the students, felicitations, lighting of the lamp, short speeches, handing over of the books @ Rs.7,500/- and the release of a students-hand made-booklet for the occasion. It was a nice and short programme where I enjoyed my interaction with the little children who had no hesitation in answering my questions. I've no doubts in saying that the kids were intelligent, well poised and obedient to their teachers. And I'd no great difficulty in answering their questions - did they deliberately keep them simple, I wonder? I'd also told them, in brief, about my childhood with my grandfather and my mom's lessons for me to grow up a good boy.

I'd even shown them the site, next door, of the post office where she'd worked for 38 years and recalled a couple of stories that she used to tell us about the school. The books that were handed over had been carefully chosen and I did congratulate the committee that was entrusted with the job. The reading room was inaugurated by the cutting of the ribbon by Ambili ma'am and yours truly. This was also the last year for the Headmistress as she retires in April, next year. She had, meanwhile, asked her husband, Soman - my cousin - to come with their car to have me dropped at the Kottarakkara bus stand for my onward journey to Kollam.

I reached the Kollam Railway Station by 5, Vishnu and Jayakrishnan, from my staff at the JSS, Kollam were already there and over a cup of tea, I could peruse the letters and sign the cheques that covered the emoluments of the faculty and the staff for the month, thereby preventing Vishnu's trip to Guruvayur. The Thiruvananthapuram-Guruvayur Intercity was on time but I shall always remember the ample-sized lady who sat next to me and kept crunching wafers all through the journey. I was touched, however, by the manner in which she tried to reduce the noise by angling her head towards her husband and I, obviously, couldn't tell her that it was an unsuccessful proposition!

The journey helped me to catch up on my friends and relatives through What'sApp.


Tailpiece.

It was a day that saw me on transit almost completely, except for that one hour where I could remember my mom and I was mighty happy for that small slice of time!          

No comments:

Post a Comment