Sunday, January 20, 2019

A cosmic conspiracy?

Had got up by about a quarter past 6 - yes, it was a late night last night, yet again - and my heart sank when Lekha told me that she was having a queasy feeling and wanted to throw up. I tried to quickly work in my mind as to what could have gone wrong - was it the late night or was it a case of indigestion, though I must admit that I'd quickly ruled out the latter as we'd eaten the same food?

The tension prevailed for a while but she got all right after throwing up a few gulp full of bile. Phew! We went about our chores subsequently and were ready on time. My walk and the prayers went off without a hitch. A quick bath, the 'Rangoli' had just wound up and we were on the breakfast table.

Meanwhile, my sister, Rema and Padmakumar had reached the house where Vichani kunjamma was lying in state......except for Nonu, Mini and me, the rest of the family was there in full numbers. I cursed my plight about the 'post-jaundice-embargo' on my movements and the intake of food and water, which are gonna continue for another three months!

Vichani kunjamma's mortal remains were consigned to the flames after 12, at the Santhi Kavaadam at Thycaud in Thiruvananthapuram. Rema and Padmakumar had left from there, soon after, to the KSRTC stand to board the 'Minnal Express' departing for Palakkad at 1345 hrs.

It was, then, that my sister had gently reminded me about Vichani kunjamma's frequent requests - when I was young - to make sure that I'd be there as one of her pall bearers. Was my absence at her cremation - owing to my present medical condition - a cosmic conspiracy? 

Ramesh, the gardener and his assistant, Muniyappa had dropped by. Our waste management plant was working bingo as the former showed us the flow of the 'slurry' - my, it smells tough but - wonder why the maid had reported otherwise? Muniyappa was left to clear the weeds and I let Lekha get things done, as she'd planned earlier, both around the courtyard and in the kitchen garden.

Lunch was timely and scrumptious. There was no siesta time as Lekha continued to be engaged with her directions for Muniyappa, by the end of which, the entire place looked neat and trim!

Sathi chechi - the late Radhan chettan's wife - had dropped by as promised. She's tending a 96 year old lady in her capacity as a home nurse at Kottakkal. She was teary eyed when she said that 19 Mar - Radhan chettan's first remembrance day - was round the corner.......realised for the umpteenth time as to how time was flying. Her sugar readings seem to be quite high, the main reason being that she wasn't taking care of herself! She, simply, doesn't seem to have lost the will to do it!!

Rema and Padmakumar had reached their home by 2330 hrs!


Tailpiece.

Vichani kunjamma, in her heydays, while winding up her bath used to call out gods' names - and coincidentally, they were all chief ministers of Tamilnadu viz. Karunanidhi, Bhaktavalasalam. Subsequently, when ever we met, I used to call out, "Ninthiruvadi" and she used to complete it by calling out, "Karunanidhe, Bhaktavalsala".

About six months back, when I'd gone to meet her, I'd called out, "Ninthiruvadi" and she'd responded with a smile and turned over to the other side, on her bed

No comments:

Post a Comment