Saturday, January 19, 2019

Adieu Vichani kunjamma!

Vichani - Vilasini - kunjamma, the third daughter of PN Panicker and G Chempakakutty Amma and my mom's second sister, passed into the mist of time this evening, around 1800 hrs. She was 78 and was poised to celebrate her 79th birthday on 07 Feb! She'd been ailing and was fully bed ridden for a while with loss of memory, as she was inflicted with the dreaded Alzheimer's disease and had been reduced to a far cry from her exuberant, effervescent and sunny personality. Her legs had begun to atrophy as she never moved around. Couldn't believe that a hyper active person like her could get tied down in that manner. As I concentrate my thoughts on her, many nice occasions come gushing into my mind.

  (a) Her wedding with Santhan kochachhan took place at the Guruvayur temple, on 27 Apr '64
        which, as a young lad of 9, I'd the privilege to attend. Both of them looked smart, made for
        each other and hopelessly in love. They stayed with Muthachhan and Ammachi and therefore,
        were part of the vibrant joint family at 'Kalpar', on the Easwara Vilasom Road. His culinary
        ability helped the ladies in the kitchen and the evenings when poories were made, it was a sort
        of celebration for us kids! 

        I still remember the trousseau shopping associated with her wedding at Thiruvananthapuram
        along with her and Muthachhan, Ammachi and at certain times, my mom when she would come
        down from dad's place, where she was working! 

  (b) I was studying in class III at the Holy Angels' Convent in Thiruvananthapuram and was not
        very 'favourably inclined' to attend classes and consequently, bunked them, trudge my way to
        Vichani kunjamma's office - the Khadi Board - behind the Government Secretariat! Her friends
        used to remember the 'school-avoiding-kid-of-yesteryears' in their subsequent interactions -
        Her good friends, the late Prabha chechi and Subahan, come to mind almost instantly. 

  (c) By 28 Jan '67, I'd joined the Sainik School at Kazhakootam. Though all my uncles and aunts 
        visited me at school it was the Santhan kochachhan-Vichani kunjamma couple who'd visited me
        the maximum be it for the Annual Sports day or the Annual Speech day! I used to look forward 
        to their dignified presence and the delicacies they brought me, to eat.

  (d) After passing out of Sainik School, while awaiting the NDA results, I had a brief stint at the
       University College when I used to yearn for a white khadi shirt and had mentioned it to Vichani
       kunjamma. Without questions asked, she'd gifted me with one the very next day! Such was her
       eagerness to give to the others!

  (e) She was beautiful, with a smiling and pleasant countenance and full of life. I can say, without
        hesitation, that she was the most elegantly dressed in her khadi silk sarees, among her
        colleagues!

  (f) Subsequently, during my Naval career, she and kochachhan used to come and spend time with
       us, be it at Kochi or at New Delhi. She used to tell Lekha and me that she looked forward to such
       visits!

I, still, can't believe that the chirpy and happy-go-lucky Vichani kunjamma is no more amid us. And
I'm angry at my plight of not being able to see her mortal remains because of the jaundice-created- embargo on my travel.

RIP Vichani kunjamma. You've given me so much to remember. My salute, tears and prayers! 

       *                      *                         * 
  
We'd got up at our usual time and gone about the morning chores. The devotional songs about Lord Ayyappa rent the air from 6 'o clock. Was ready well within time and the walk and prayers were completed before 8 AM.

Shyla had sent me the results of my blood analysis on the What'sApp. The jaundice factor has become a thing of the past by virtue of the current status of the Bilirubin reading. The detailed information is as follows:-

      * Bilirubin                                 0.85 mg/dl.
      * SGOT                                   77 u/l 
      * SGPT                                    69 u/l
      * Alkaline Phosphatase          107 u/l
      * GGT                                    216 u/l
      * Protein - total                          7.77 gm/dl
      * Albumin - serum                     3.75 gm/dl
      * Serum Globulin                       4.02 gm/dl
      * Serum Albumin/Globulin
         ratio                                         0.93

Note. The highlighted readings are on the higher side!

Lekha, along with Preetha, had gone to the supermarket to buy grocery and vegetables. It was Sajid who'd taken them up and down on the errand.

Had a long chat with my classmate, Josekutty Thomas. Earlier, I'd filled up a survey to help his daughter in her PhD at the University of Aberdeen, Scotland as desired by him.

Nandan's people didn't come by to collect the left over sheets and Ramesh, didn't fetch up for having a look see at our waste processing plant.


Tailpiece.

Spoke with Surg LCdr AB Mishra and apprised him about the medical results. He seemed to be satisfied with the progress and has exempted me from visiting him this time because a month has passed after my last review!

PS.
It's my firm belief that a part of Vichani kunjamma had died on 07 Nov '11, when Santhan kochachhan had passed into the mist of time. He was like a shadow to her, helping her in everything possible right from sweeping up and cleaning the house in the morning. He played a stellar role in the kitchen, in fact, she didn't have to worry over anything! I remember as to how shocked she was seeing him lie in state, muttering, "Look he's sleeping!" And not a drop of tear she'd shed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment