Saturday, January 5, 2019

When the kitchen renovation came to its logical end.

Had got up groggily but sharp, at 6 AM. We went through our chores and were ready well in time. Today was the last day of work in the kitchen - Anil and Ashokan had come in at their usual time.

Maman was given the consignment number of the parcel so that he could monitor its transit. Reji, the grandmother clock mechanic from Thrissur fetched up by about 12. He has taken its heart to his workshop and hopefully, would rectify its shortcomings and refit it by tomorrow. Otherwise, he takes it to Ernakulam and refits it not latest than the coming Sunday. I'd only given him my requirement - "Do let me know about your movements so that I know as to what the exact situation is at any given time!"

There was a minor emergency of sorts in the afternoon. Our caretaker at Thalavoor had gone to the bank only to realise that the money that I was supposed to have sent yesterday, had not reached his account. The funniest thing was that I'd got an 'sms' saying that the amount was deducted from my account and therefore, was of the feeling that the transaction was complete. But it turned out to be a false alarm!

Well, when he'd gone to pull out the money from his account this afternoon, he was told that the money had not fetched up. On his call, I tried sending it but the transaction would just not take place. Out of my wits' ends, I tried calling up my brother-in-law, Padmakumar, to ask him to transfer the amount and I could refund it at leisure, on Monday. But two things killed my initiative viz:-

     (a) I'd called him up at a half past 1 - asking the caretaker to be at his bank for another half hour
           till I sorted out the matter - and he wasn't on his seat as he'd gone to their canteen for lunch.     
     (b) These days he doesn't carry his cell phone as there's an embargo in carrying the instrument
           to the office - especially, the smartphones. It's the phone that has the particular application.

Achu was not contactable. I'd then, as a last ditch attempt, switched off my phone, flicked it on and presto, the transaction was carried out much to mine and the caretaker's relief. Phew!

Anil and Ashokan were sentimental as they bid us farewell in the evening. Six days at our place have made them our loyalists.

It was a quiet evening thereafter!


Tailpiece.

Incidents of violence continued to happen even today in various parts of the state. The police has arrested almost 3,000 people whom they feel could foment trouble. Why can't the government call everyone on to the negotiating table?

No comments:

Post a Comment