Thursday, June 9, 2022

At Thiruvananthapuram.

The day started off at 5 AM this morning as Lekha's cellphone alarm woke us up. Went around the chores and was ready by 7. Anto was at the gate, on the dot, though he said that I need not hurry as he'd handed over a potential customer, after me, to a colleague of his - damn sweet of him! Reached the KSRTC bus stand within no time and I'd clambered on to the 0725 hrs Thiruvananthapuram - Kattakkada Superfast bus as it was already at the take off point.

I sat at the first seat - as is my custom - opposite the driver as I liked viewing the road and the sights whizzing past, always, which is a luxury that one's denied when one's behind the wheel!

The driver, Anil, took off 10' early and I was glad that we'd reach Vyttila much ahead of time. It was bright sunshine all through our route and the journey was uneventful. We reached Vyttila hub around a 20' past 10. And as usual, I'd gone across to the rest room to ease myself and the low floor air-conditioned bus, for Thiruvananthapuram, had fetched up soon after. We left Vyttila by a half past 10.

My cellphone was dangerously low on charge but much to my chagrin, I found that the plug points provided for charging in the bus did not have power and despite complaining to the driver and the conductor, no action was taken - instead, they provided me with wishy-washy answers. Have dropped a complaint in the suggestion box, to this effect and shall monitor its progress. No wonder the KSRTC is picking up huge losses and the corporation is unable to pay their monthly emoluments. Serves the guys right because they've no loyalty towards the organisation, let alone having a helpful attitude towards their passengers whose indulgence gets them a steady income!

Lekha, along with her elder sister, Letha had packed a spicy lunch for me at Kayamkulam by about 2 o' clock.

The guy's driving left much to be desired because we reached Thiruvananthapuram at 5 PM. Though the traffic was heavy, he could have got us much earlier. The problem, as I've observed this afternoon, is that neither do the corporation's personnel have the fire in them to do well nor do they have the decency in their conduct - they just don't seem to care!

The drive was nice otherwise, as I saw very many familiar sights - the area around Kazhakkoottam and the turn towards the Sainik School at Vettu Road, especially, took me to the days when I was a cadet there during  1967 - '72! Got down at Thampanoor - at the bus stand - at 5 and Manu drove me to the Foundation. It was nice meeting the entire staff and had a long chat with Shri Pannian Raveendran, our working chairman. Maman was away with the DGP, who security cleared our "Cavalcade of Books", scheduled for day-after-tomorrow afternoon. 

Set off for home by a 10' past 9. Had a long chat with Ammayi and Chambu, over dinner. Hit the sack at later than usual!


Tailpiece.

Have told my neighbours, at Guruvayur, to provide necessary support to Lekha and her sister, if required.

No comments:

Post a Comment