Thursday, June 16, 2022

At Thiruvananthapuram.

The day began at 4, thanks to Lekha's cellphone alarm. A light rain was on, throughout the morning. Went about my chores and was ready well in time. Anto was at our gate, a trifle after 6. Meanwhile, Lekha and her sister had prepared packed breakfast and dinner for me. Kittu was at our doorstep, looking sad because of his mistaken appreciation that we were all going away. He was satisfied after realising that Lekha wasn't travelling with me.

Anto and I left for the railway station by a 10' past 6. The queue had not yet formed up for buying tickets and therefore, I could buy mine to Thrissur, pull out the day's newspapers from the shop on the platform and boarded the nearest coach to the entrance. The Guruvayur - Ernakulam Passenger left the station at a quarter to 7 and 20' later, I'd got off at Thrissur.

Found to my utter dismay that the air conditioned waiting room was under lock and key. When asked as to why it was under lock and key, the RPF guy told me that it has been so since the onslaught of the Covid pandemic. Now how does one react to such an absurdity and I just withdrew. There was a lot of tom tomming about the railway station having acquired high tech features but what it presented was a pathetic sight!

So, sat on the platform and had my breakfast. The crows around the area are militant-like. Anyways, after tucking in the lovely breakfast of appam and egg masala, was ready to board the Jan Shatabdi from Kannur which arrived promptly at a half past 8. Mine was a window-side seat and my co-passengers were two middle-aged ladies; I took pains to keep my visits to the rest room at longish intervals so that I disturbed them the least.

Reached Thiruvananthapuram at a quarter to 2 and since our cars were all away on duty, I took an auto rickshaw and got dropped at the Foundation. Met Prof PJ Kurien, the former deputy chairman of the Rajya Sabha who was on a visit to the Foundation. Had tomato-rice, packed as lunch, from home and it was really nice!

Had joined the others of the Foundation in the run up to the 26th Reading Day/Reading Month celebrations commencing 19 Jun. Watched television too and my favourite evening serials! We'd set off for home around a half past 9: Ajith was our sa'arthi.

Interacted with Ammayi and Chambu, had a scrumptious supper and got on to my work on the laptop.


Tailpiece.

A fairly packed day and the journey by train is definitely, better than what is by bus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment