Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My niece's birthday

It was a quiet day at the office, all the three of us of the carpool were on our own and hence, I was free to move as per my requirement. I’d come off by about 1600h from work and after a quick wash and change, was off with our guests for a ride on the ‘metro rail’ after which we’d reached my sister, Renjini’s place at Dwarka to celebrate her daughter, Ammu’s 17th birthday. A cake was cut on the occasion and all of us partook in the accompanying singing and celebrations. It was a quick dinner after that and we were back at home by 2215h, after a pleasant evening.

But what came to my mind was the 31st of Mar ’93, the day Ammu was born in ‘Vijaya Nursing Home’ at Kochi. Two of the important protagonists of that evening are no more with us – one, the efficient and extremely professional Dr. Ramani Rajan( Ramani aunty for us) who was ever watchful as my sister was susceptible to epileptic fits and the other, my lovable, Doscoite friend Surgeon Commander Sanjay( Granny) Goil whose ship, Vikrant, happened to enter harbour that day and he insisted on being with me as he was aware of Renjini’s medical history and the tension that I was in. Thanks Ramani aunty and Sanjay for being there with me that night and I do feel your presence around me on this day, every year!

And I can never forget the dynamism of young Rekha Madhusoodanan, who’d amazing stamina and patience to soothe people’s frayed nerves thanks to her timing – in fact, I’d befriended Ramani aunty through her. Thanks Rekha, you’re the only one of your kind!! May you have pleasant happenings in your life all through.

The funniest thing was that we’re all there till about 2115h, when the hospital staff told us that the delivery would take place only around midnight and sent us home for wash, change and dinner. But no sooner had we reached home, around 2145h, Ammu had arrived in this world and only her paternal grandmother was immediately at hand, to welcome her!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment