Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pleasant experiences.....

I had got up with the alarm at 6, lit the traditional lamp and switched on the FM to hear the ‘devraag’. The second bhajan was the mellifluous Anup Jalota number, ‘mainya morey, main nahin maakhan khayo’ – an all time favourite of mine after I’d heard it and understood its meaning, for the first time at the Banerjees’ home, years back – and I knew that the day was going to be nice.

At 8, on the programme ‘Rangoli’ on TV, the first half hour was a tribute to Shashi Kapoor and the starting number was ‘Khilte hain gul yahan’ from the evergreen hit, Sharmilee. The usual call to my parents was made at 9 and they were chirpy and sounded cheerful. The drive to my sister’s place was nice and enroute, did a bit of window shopping to facilitate my maman, who’s with us currently, to pick up a new cell phone and a pair of shoes.

The lunch at my sister’s was a huge spread, as usual, where I ate myself silly! And on such occasions, my interaction with my niece, who is in her teens, has always been an exhilarating experience. Today, it was enlightening to hear her telling my maman that he should never compare his son with her, when he lamented that he was not as smart and confident as she was! I don’t think that I was so evolved when I was her age!!

It was the visit to a ‘chrysanthemum’ exhibition, in the afternoon, that was the highlight of the day. The floral exhibition was organized by the ladies of the FICCI and we’d received an invite for the same. The variety of the bright yellow golden flowers was mind boggling and it definitely was an educating experience. On the sidelines, there were rural artisans and artistes, in their bright and colourful costumes(my personal favourite has always been the ‘Nagas’ in their warrior attire), who gave a wide repertoire of their wares and talent, that I was truly mesmerized with and didn’t have the heart to leave.

The evening walk had to be vigorous to compensate for the heavy intake of food, all through the day and I felt light at the end of it.

A beautiful day in which, nothing great was done, albeit, it was an uneventful day when I was doing trivial things but derived a tremendous happiness just from doing them. In continuation, hope the week ahead is interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment