Sunday, October 17, 2010

Adieu, Mr. N Naagar Pillai!

I’d joined Sainik School, Thiruvananthapuram in class VII sometime towards the last week of Jan ’67. After going through the joining formalities, my father had left for home. I’d been assigned to Prasad House and the elegant Mr. KK Muthanna was the House Master( 517 Savio George, 519 Yours truly, 525 Josekutty Thomas and 526 BR Vijayakumar were the additions to the house’ strength that day, if my memory is correct). We were then allowed to settle down and towards this end, Ms. Sarojini Sreedharan, who was our matron, was a great help.

Fresh linen were issued and we’re taught as to how they’re to be spread, without even a single crease. And around 8 o’clock in the evening, we’re taken to the Cadets’ Mess for supper. And it was then that I had my first glimpse of Mr. N Naagar Pillai, the Mess Manager. A short, frail gentleman, a bit dark in complexion, sporting a thick mane of salt and pepper hair, the ever smiling visage of Mr. Pillai made its indelible impression in me as he moved around the huge dining hall in quick strides, catering to everyone’s needs. His starched white trousers hung from his slender waist by sheer will power, so I thought!

He seemed to be everywhere, passing crisp instructions exchanging notes with the cadets and the Masters who were present. He’d a loud and clear voice and his man Friday seemed to be the happy-go-lucky and roly poly John, the bearer, who complimented him to the tee. During our stay at school, his clear and loud directive to his man Friday, pointing towards a particular direction viz. “John, go and lay an egg on that table”(the literal translation from Malayalam meant that, but what he actually meant was to ask John to make up the deficiency of an egg as reported by a cadet sitting on the table) – became a ‘battle cry’ that we could never forget.

In my 51/2 years at school, I’ve always seen Mr. Naagar Pillai in the mess whenever I’d gone there and found him to be sincere, purposeful and efficient in his work. He gave us a variety of nutritious and hygienic food and had the welfare of the cadets, uppermost in his mind. So synonymous was he with the activities of the mess that I can never envisage that mess without him!

He’d passed away yesterday after being in the hospital for four days. I’d called up his son, Mahesh this morning to offer my condolences. Mr. Pillai was 89 years old at the time of his death and had led a healthy life save for his last few days in the hospital. He had lost his wife about 10 years back and was staying with his son and family at his ancestral house at Kazhakootam, a stone’s throw away from the school.

Mr. Pillai, I salute you for your dedication and for having nurtured me during my formative years. You shall always live in my heart. RIP!

No comments:

Post a Comment