Monday, April 22, 2013

An unforgiveable faux pas!

I'd fetched up at work, as usual, on the dot. After a meeting with the staff and a quick review of the work done yesterday and going through the list of activities for the day, I realised that there was a need to update my personal bank accounts - before anyone were to jump to conclusions, the balances in both the accounts are modest or should I say meagre? But the bank pass books need updation for one's satisfaction for some unfathomable reason - I mean, what's the need to be reminded about what one has or more aptly, about what one doesn't have?

And usually, for this purpose I seek the services of the 'Dispatch Rider'. For him it will be one of the errands, in a long list of work meticulously listed down in his diary, to be done in the course of the day. And today's fall guy was young SK Singh or 'SK' as he's familiar to all of us. I'd called him into my office to hand over the books and I think I'd noted a spring in his step, coupled with a tingling anticipation, which dissipated all too soon after I'd finished my deed - or was it all my imagination?

The tea during the recess was accompanied by 'high eats' and on queries with the steward, I'd come to realise that it was SK's wedding anniversary and the special treat was his largesse. It was then that I realised as to how badly I'd let him down because customarily I give a card to every individual on his special day. The reason for the change in his demeanour , during our earlier interaction, hit me with all its ferocity.

He was subsequently given a card with apologies and a sheepish smile, but did I see that 'I-did-not-expect-this-from-you' look on his face? I wonder.


Tailpiecec.

I'd let him down! Sad!! And I was left kicking my shins for an avoidable faux pas!!!    

No comments:

Post a Comment