Tuesday, April 30, 2013

When death came calling.........twice.

I'd reached office a trifle late as there was something that had to be wound up at the residential complex and while on my drive, my cellphone had rung a couple of times. So, on reaching, my first task was to see as to who the caller was. It was my friend breaking the news of the death of a classmate at 3 o'clock, this morning.

I couldn't believe that Balagopal wasn't with us anymore.

And soon after, Joe rings up from Bombay to say that he needed a reservation to Thalasserri tonight to attend to his father's last rites.

.....My flight has been called. Will fill up on the details on landing at Delhi where I'm off on work.

PS.

Joe's dad had seen his end coming. He was 89 and had no medical problems but 48 hrs prior to his passing away, he was confined to his bed, which had upset him no end. He'd told Joe, over the telephone, that he could not accept the helpless state that he was in and it was better that he left the scene and that's exactly what he did about 48 hrs later. RIP sir, my humble prayers!

Balu was known among us as an outright prankster, who spared no one to get his dose of mirthful laughter. His consuming a whole bunch of bananas on the basis of a bet with another friend showed that element of lovable craziness that was the hallmark of his personality. Somewhere, in between, he'd taken to the bottle which scarred him with weakened innards and had ultimately paved his early end. I just can't believe that his smiling face will never ever be seen again. RIP, Balu. Each one of us who've had the privilege of knowing you'll miss you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment