Friday, April 5, 2013

Trivial, yet thought provoking!

I want to share a few happenings that may appear trivial at first perusal but have nevertheless touched a deep cord within me. And the beauty is that I can't fathom the real reason for being affected by them:-

    (a) Ichcha's death. I'd mentioned earlier that I'm a fervent follower of the Hindi soap 'Kya hoti utharan'
         on the channel 'Colors' every evening at 10. A couple of days back, one of the lead characters,  
         died of a tragic accident and in her dying moments, she bequeaths her heart to 'Tapasya', her friend.
         The paradox is that she's blamed by most of the family members, throughout her life, that she was
         scheming against the very same person who gets to be the ultimate recipient of her largesse. Ichcha     
         has been portrayed as a strong young lady who suffers innumerable miseries in her life, including a
         jail term, but steadfastly stands by the truth and nothing but the truth, always and every time.

         From what one hears in real life, such miserable and sad endings befall upon good people many a
         time. One's left wondering as to what's god doing all the while because god was to ensure that
         good prevails over the evil!

    (b) Telepathy? During the course of the day, two people had come into my thoughts after what seemed to
          be a long time. And no, the thoughts came at random, for no particular reason and at different
          occasions. They were Durga and Rajan - the former and I'd spent some wonderful times together
          at Chilka and the latter's a simple lad who's been duped by a job racketeer to do strenuous, manual
          work at the construction sites of Singapore for a pittance!

          Durga, after a prolonged silence, had sent me a mail asking me about my whereabouts. Settled in
          Secunderabad, he seemed to be cheery and full of beans! Rajan had called up from one of the public
          telehone kiosks and poured out his woes - his greatest worry is that he's unable to save from his
          earnings as food, palatable and acceptable to his taste, costs a fortune. He's desperately counting out
          his two-year contract and reiterated that he felt nice after he talked to me. When I'd asked him to give
          me his contact number, he said that he'd make the calls as it suited him. I feel damn guilty making
          him spend on me!

     (c) A mother's anguish. I've become a marriage counsellor of sorts, albeit, a poor one at that by my own
          admission. Usha, one of the residents out here, came in to tell me about her woes. It was about the
          collapsing marital relations of her son and daughter-in-law and that too after siring two children,
          with the third on the way! The daughter-in-law is willing to go her own way(she's alleged to be friendly
          with another guy and gets messages and calls on her cellphone, much to the consternation of the
          mother-son duo) but the son insists that he'll give up his life if that happens!! And their's was a love
          marriage and they're drawn from differing religions!!!

          I've advised Usha to summon the girl's parents to have a comprehensive round of discussions and then
          go in for a divorce if no other plans work. And I've promised to attend that meeting to put in my two
          bits' worth!


Tailpiece.

Am I getting too personal? Do I've the wherewithal to erase the woes of the people immediately around me? I'm reminded of a conversational piece from one of the Hindi movies that I'd seen quite a while back. Roughly translated it goes something like this and I quote, " At certain times one has to assume a godly role. And the paradox is that there's no escape from such a situation as circumstances bind one. And all the while one's fully aware of the fact that one's a a very poor imitation of the original and wants to desperately don a  simple, quiet  role". Unquote.  

No comments:

Post a Comment