Sunday, April 28, 2013

Playing the patriarch!

We'd set off from my sister's house by 8 o'clock as the venue of the wedding was about thirty kms away. This function had to be attended at any cost as it bore a lot of significance and importance, which will become clear as I go forth with my narrative.

Krishnan is one of the bright young lads of my unit. He'd lost his father, last year, in an unfortunate family feud wherein, one of his grandsons had pushed him in the midst of a scuffle and he'd hit his head on the concrete floor to go into a coma, from which he could never recover. And the fight was over a silly property dispute!

He has two sisters, one elder and the other, younger to him both of whom are settled, tending their own families. His mother is still recouping from the shock of her husband's passing away and in the meanwhile, he'd got his marching orders to leave Kochi shortly. It was due to this reason that he'd decided to marry and move to his new station with his wife and mother. I'd got his move deferred to facilitate this arrangement and he was keen that I should play the role of the patriarch, to substitute his dad at his wedding! A heavy responsibility indeed but I'd to deliver without upsetting his father's elder brother who, was actually supposed to play that role.

I was pleasantly surprised that the elderly gentleman was only too keen to abdicate his role as he made a disarming statement and I quote, "we've given our Krishnan to them and it's they who're responsible for him at work. I'm only too happy to note that Krishnan is in mature hands". I felt that my responsibility had increased tremendously and as I went through the motions of the ceremony, it was as though I was conducting the wedding of a son that I do not have!

May you both have a long and happy married life and here's wishing that you get whatever you wish for.


Tailpiece.

The crowd, that I'd the privilege of interacting with, was made up of simple people. Wonder why a fight for property could shake the foundations of this simple family?

And somewhere into the ceremony, my identity as my grandfather's grandson was revealed and I was thrust into the limelight for no rhyme or reason!   

No comments:

Post a Comment