Friday, March 16, 2018

Bruno's 15th Remembrance Day.

Can still not forget the images of the 15th and the 16th of Mar '03. Bruno, our pet Doberman after having spent 9 years with us, was battling for life and had passed into the mist of time in the morning of this day, 15 years back. 

We're at 9/97, Arjan Vihar in Delhi Cantt, then and Maman was visiting. He seemed to be amused and bewildered that the atmosphere in our flat was melancholic, tinged with great sadness, just as it would be if a near relative had passed away. He never had a pet at that time but later did and a couple of years back, had gone through the pain of losing his pet in an accident!

Bruno's grave site is behind that block and we'd tended it with flower bearing trees all around. I wanted flowers to fall on that spot during the season. My understudy, Bunty and his wife who continue to be in Arjan Vihar take care of that site even today and gave us a call this morning. They, too, had developed a closeness towards him and as I'd said before, Bruno developed an intimacy with a pregnant Babli, like never before, during his final days. She was to give birth to her fourth and final child, Renu - I'd suggested the name, for, I was sure that she was Bruno's new incarnation - the very next day on 17 Mar '03. Renu rhymed with Bruno.

His photo hangs in our bedroom, the only hanging that we've permitted! He has left us with enough memories and more!

The Present.

As if on cue, we'd a pup around 'The Quarterdeck' a few days back. Though he was lovable, we didn't want to take him in as another pet. The reason was simple.........the pain of Bruno's passing away has still not worn off and it's tedious to go through the rigmarole of bringing up a pet. Frankly, we don't want to restrict our movements and remain at home anymore.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the same pup following me during my evening walk. He walked with me for a while, at my heels, but was distracted in between and had disappeared soon after. He must have found a new home, perhaps. Good for him!


Tailpiece.

Today was a negative day to begin with. I'd gone to the Rajah Hospital to give my blood samples as ordered by the ophthalmologist. To my utter disappointment and subsequent anger, the sister on duty was unable to decipher the doctor's hand and had therefore, wanted me to have it checked out. On my return, I realised that I should have asked the sister to refer it to one of the doctors on duty to decode it and in anger, I kicked my shins for being the tube light. Finally the words were just, "Prominent profiles" as gleaned from the doctor.

Meanwhile, my cellphone was duff since yesterday afternoon. I'd called Tobin of the Airtel, at Kochi, to do the trouble shooting and he'd directed me to visit a store of their's. Accordingly, I'd gone to Kunnamkulam, this morning and it was again to no avail. I'd to give them a hard shake up, saying the following:-

    (a) I've just come back from a tour of the state urging the poorest of the poor to get literate digitally
         and they've not been told about the bad experiences courtesy you service providers.
    (b) It was futile knowing the folks in the hierarchy for instant problem resolution.
    (c) Inefficiency and sloth characterised the workforce as results weren't forthcoming for the
         common man.

The guy, Vinod at the store, had initially asked me to go to Thrissur for the resolution. Once I gave it to him, revealed my identity and with Tobin coming on the line, he was cut to size. Finally, he'd offered me a new 'sim' to avoid another visit to his store and promised to visit me instead. I wondered aloud at the callousness meted to a common man.

The phone came on stream by about 2000 hrs and Tobin had personally called up to tell me. Nice of him!

No comments:

Post a Comment