Friday, March 2, 2018

My viewpoint.

There were a couple of events that had taken place during the yatra and I'd said that I'd react after the journey was over. Inhuman acts have taken place in Kerala for which we do not have anything to say simply because they shouldn't have happened in the first place. Shame on all of us, Malayalees! 

1. Ghastly!

    Towards the last week of February, a murder - yes, it's murder if you're to ask me - Madhu, all of
    27 years and the son of Mallan and Malli was waylaid by people while he was carrying rice. They
    allegedly tied up the youngster and beat him with sticks before handing him over to the police.

    Madhu began vomiting while being taken to the police station and though he was taken to the
    hospital, he was declared 'Brought dead.'

    The local residents said that rice and provisions used to be periodically stolen from the shops and
    the CCTV images had shown a person resembling Madhu to be behind it.

    My comment.

     I feel ashamed, as a Keralite, for the merciless death of the adivasi youngster. Who gave us the
     right to take the law into our hands and dispense justice? No amount of apologies or compensation
     can bring back the young man. I hang my head in shame that in a literate state like ours, such an
     inhuman act has taken place!

2. The 'Politics' of Murder.

    On 12 Feb, 30 year old Shoaib, a youth congress worker along with five others, was waiting in
    front of an eatery in Mattannoor when four persons came in a car and threw bombs to create a
    scare.

    They, then, slashed him with a sword...there were thirty one cuts when the body was brought for
    post mortem.

    Shoaib had a tiff with the CPI(M) unit in the town over student politics, sometime in January.
    The party had publicly announced that his days were numbered.

    My comment.

    It resembled TP Chandrasekharan's murder. I was particularly angry when I saw P Jayarajan,
    the party's Kannur district secretary, quoting the South American litterateur, Pablo Neruda at
    a television channel interview saying, "If my right hand has been hit, then I shall amass all that
    I can with my left hand to inflict maximum damage" or words to that effect. Shouldn't the man
    be punished for justifying a murder?

We take pride in calling ourselves literate and our land being God's own country! Isn't that a bloody joke when we let such primitive and inhuman acts to take place?


Tailpiece.

We reached 'The Quarterdeck' around a half past 1 past midnight. Maman and the others left for Thiruvananthapuram around a half past 10 after a 'darshan' of Guruvayurappan.

   

   
      

No comments:

Post a Comment