Friday, June 1, 2018

An embarrassing journey.

As Lekha and I'd outlined my travel programme for the day, last night, there was nothing much left for me to do except for finishing some work before I left and the wrapping up of the packing - basically, readying the overnighter.

Leaving Lekha, by herself, puts tremendous pressure on me throughout the period of my shift, I must confess, but there are times that it has to be resorted to. I'd given her the option of going to Rema's but she'd shot it down simply because of the fact that my absence was going to be just for about 24 hrs. Antony had come with his auto rickshaw, on the dot, at 12. The low floor Volvo was parked at the south western corner of the bus stand, awaiting its turn to move.

The driver was Santosh and the conductor was Dinesh, an efficient duo as I observed them to be, throughout the course of the journey. I'd chosen my favourite seat and before occupying it, had gone around the corner to ease my bladder. In the process, I managed to unzip my fly on a permanent basis. I was wearing my favourite beige coloured trouser that had the tongue of the zip broken quite a while back but since it was quite comfortable while being worn, I'd selected it for this journey yet again. The rump of the zip came into my hand and the disaster had taken place.

I was wearing a tee shirt, that was just about covering the 'vulnerable' area and I'd become very, very cautious from then on. I'm sure that at least a few passengers must have noticed my general lack of confidence and the length to which I went to cover my frontage(?) with the bottom end of the tee shirt! I must have been comical and a bit too jarring!

There were no rains anywhere enroute and I reached Kollam by about a quarter to 7. After a wait for about 15', during which I'd finished up a banana, a fast passenger to Aryankavu had fetched up. I was at Kottarakkara by about a quarter past 8 and Letha, along with Murukesan, were waiting for my arrival.

A quick wash and change and a lovely supper, rustled up by my sister-in-law, had brought the day's proceedings to an end.


Tailpiece.

Meanwhile, our friend, Rekha, her daughter, Megha - she's carrying - and Sreekanth had fetched up at 'The Quarterdeck' to say hello to Lekha. The time was around a half past 6.   

No comments:

Post a Comment