Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Faux pas galore.

It was a day of faux pas galore; everything I did seemed to end up in some faux pas or the other! I suppose it's a natural happening but I can't believe it. It all started yesterday, on our drive from Guruvayur to Kochi. At the Paravoor 'T' junction, after the church, as I was turning to the right there was this guy on a bike who overtook me and gesticulated at me. He drove parallel to me, looked into the car, saw us and then, proceeded without further action. I couldn't make out as to why he did so, had I drifted across his path? No, I'd the right of way and it was for him to stay clear off my Chevy but he was angry for some reason or the other.

Without much ado, here I go:-

  (a) On the Thevara - Kundannoor Road.

        We're out of the Command Mess and on our way to Shenoy Care and somewhere in front of the
        Sacred Heart College, did this incident happen. There was a nasty auto rickshaw driver who
        was literally sitting on his horn. The traffic from the opposite direction was heavy with the two
        wheelers zipping past on the narrow road. There was this guy who was pushing a cart of waste
        along our side and I tried my best to keep clear of him. I don't know as to what had irked him
        but he started gesticulating and was also speaking. I was sure that the Chevy hadn't touched him
        because it would have been his cart that should have come in contact first! I'd rolled down the
        window on Lekha's side and said that I was sorry if I'd caused him any difficulty. He called me,
        "Chetta" and had nothing to say thereafter. I was left wondering as to what my mistake was?

 (b) At the Parking Area at Shenoy Care.

       As I was backing the Chevy into its final parking slot, its rear touched the adjacent car ever-so-
       gently. The sentry was supposed to have been guiding me but he seemed to be missing at the
       crucial moment. He smiled at me after I'd finished the maneuver saying that there was nothing
       to worry. I, however, made it doubly sure that it was indeed so, by inspecting both the vehicles.
       I didn't want to vent my spleen at the sentry!

 (c) At the Canteen.

       By the time we'd met the doctor, it was a 20' to 1 and we set off for our next destination that
       was the canteen. I'd scrutinised the timings on the board and found that it would reopen after
       lunch at a quarter past 2. We decided to have a snack at the Coffee bar, close by and do the
       buying during the afternoon session and that was my undoing! The canteen was open for some
       more time, beyond and who knows, were waiting for us to enter as we're the last set of people
       to enter the premises but had come to the conclusion that we'd actually reached there only to
       have a snack!

       By a quarter past 2, we'd gone across to the canteen only to find the shutters down within the
       thick glass doors and I realised that there was something amiss. On a closer scrutiny of the
       timings, this time, I realised that I'd made a faux pas. As per the latest, the canteen would work
       only till 1 on Tuesdays! That was a blow as we've to make it yet again to collect the grocery!!


Tailpiece.

Was glad about the outcome of the medical review. Lekha is quite fine, based on the latest set of
parameters and the doctor has asked her to meet him on 06 Sep, for the next review.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment