Saturday, June 9, 2018

To Palakkad.

Got up at 6 to massive rains and it was dark as though the evening had set in again! Yesterday's forecast has been that it will be raining heavily till Tuesday and the outlook has been true to form.

Had made a quick visit to the dry cleaners to pick up the clothes and in the process, met Roshni at the desk. She'd lost her husband last month, who was all of 49 yrs and had passed away due to a massive heart attack. Their only son, a degree student, is yet to get over the shock as they're pretty close to each other. She, herself, was back at work after the mandatory 41 days and I was seeing her for the first time after the mishap. I offered my condolences and made a quick exit without prolonging her agony and lingering on her tragedy further.

After a quick and early lunch, we'd set off for Palakkad dropping our maid enroute at Kunnamkulam. I was under this mysterious apprehension as to whether I'd closed the door opening to the balcony but was reluctant to get back to verify as I'd traversed more than 20 kms! Will know it only once we return. There are times when one comes across such occasions and the reactions usually have been pathetically casual. A case of Akrasia, in a convoluted sense, perhaps?

It was raining almost continuously as we made our way through the familiar Guruvayur-Palakkad route. It has been quite a while since we'd traversed through the route, I realised. We reached Rema's by a quarter past 4, and Madhavan, the watchman, had already slotted me into a covered parking space. After a cup of piping hot tea and snack, we'd set off for the mobile phone showroom, 'MyG'(Acronym for 'My generation digital hub) recently inaugurated by Mohanlal. It had a wide variety of handsets and the salesmen were courteous and helpful. I listened intently to the conversation between the salesman and Achu, my nephew and must confess that I could add on quite a few lessons to my information on the nuances of the cellphones.

For example, I was long perplexed about my cellphone - a comparatively new acquisition - prompting me that I've utilised more than 80% of the capacity and I'd promptly, but reluctantly, erased quite a few saved photos and musical tracks that have been sent across by friends and well wishers, over a period of time. I believe, whenever one's prompted to update the system and when one does it, the updated version of each App consumes more space, resulting in a corresponding decrease in capacity! So, what do many of the customers do? They never update the system without loss of functional efficiency of their handsets! 

Lekha, finally, collected her new set and the rest of the evening was spent in making the set workable as per her requirements, ably assisted by Achu.


Tailpiece.

It was conversation, as usual and streamlining our programme for the next ten days as there's a lot of travelling to do and events to attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment