Wednesday, March 20, 2019

A short foray into the Upanishads!

What is the difference between a well
and an ocean?

Essentially both are the same. Remove
the walls. A well is as good as an ocean.

So long as the wall exists, Maya
takes over and creates the duality,
inside the well - outside the well.

Extend the walls of the well to
infinity, the well becomes the ocean
and all duality vanishes.

So long as the soul is limited by the
ego, Maya is active and creates all
duality of I versus the other which
gives rise to the phenomenal world of
name and form.

I know that I exist. That which exists
is truth. My knowledge about myself
is fundamental. It is pure and does
not depend on any other knowledge. I
don't have to read any book to know
about myself.

When I extend the limits of my ego
to infinity, all the duality vanish. I
recognise no other than myself.

"Aham Brahmasmi."
I am Brahman.
Truth, Knowledge and Infinite.

Satyam jnanamanantam Brahma.
(Taittiriya Upanishad).

     *                      *                        *

Sarva parityaja bhogo tyagaha kasya
sukham na karotimi Raghava (Bhajagovindam).
once someone realises this, he will never
suffer from pain.


Tailpiece.

Had got up with the alarm - that has been the trend of late. Went through our chores and were ready well in time. My neighbour and I had gone to the Pookkodu panchayat to get the exemption of House tax for the next year. From a simple task of handing over the application and obtaining a receipt, the guy at the desk directed us to submit an application on a plain sheet of paper affixed with a Rs.5/- court fee stamp.

We tried to get the court fee stamp from the nearest point but the lady at the counter said that it was out of stock and the new stock would come in only by Thursday - did not specify which! Realised that it was the end result of the infamous 'Telgi Scam' that was unearthed quite a few years ago!!

What I've also released is that all the guys sitting in such official positions feel that we, the defence guys, have a lot of privileges that they are not happy about. To that extent, a few among them go out of their way to put impediments before seeing the thing through. Why I say this is that another ex-serviceman, residing within another panchayat nearby, said that there is no change in the procedure from last year!

So, is Pookkodu panchayat following a different procedure? Why is it so? Who has initiated this? Would like to know the answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment