Saturday, November 9, 2019

Kochi to Bhubaneshwar via Madras.

We'd got up by about a half past 5 to the alarm, gone through our chores and were ready to kick off on our journey by a half past 7. The hotel had given us packed breakfast and Jaison dropped us at the airport just as the clock struck 8. Met Thomas-Martha and Sivakumar-Raji and later, Parameswaran-Bina and Ajit-Asha and the excitement was palpable. We finished up a part of the breakfast of cut fruits and sandwiches much before boarding the flight to Madras, the others had peeled off for their flight towards Bangalore as they were travelling by that route.

The security was unprecedented as the Constitutional Bench of the Supreme Court delivered its verdict on the Ayodhya case but it did not dampen my enthusiasm even a wee bit!

We were at Madras by a quarter past 10, only to get a message that our onward flight was delayed by a half an hour. Finally, the flight had taken off for Bhubaneshwar by 1400 hrs, late by over an hour and a half. We had the proud privilege of being pampered by one of the stewardesses, Monika, who seemed to have taken an affinity for us! The in flight meal of Chinese fried rice, served by her, never tasted so nice!! She'd followed it up with her inquiry as to whether we liked it and showed her  genuine concern over our well being!! Must send over our appreciation of the young lady's efforts to her superiors!!

After much apprehension, we landed at Bhubaneshwar by a half past 3. Bhibhu, our sa'arthi, was there to receive us and as per the changed programme, we headed for Puri instead of joining up with the rest at the hotel because of the delay in our arrival. The rest had already set off for Puri as per schedule, by then. The first thing that I noticed was that the airport and the stretch of the highway had changed drastically since I'd seen it last during 1989-'90 while I was posted at Chilka! There was so much of travel, on official purpose, then.

It was an emotional meeting up with the rest of the gang of my Naval course mates as I made it a point to meet each and everyone of them, along with their wives - some of whom, the ladies especially, I was meeting up for the first time - and made it a point to familiarise Lekha with each one of them.

The evening was memorable as we bonded over an entertainment programme and dinner, that had a mouth watering spread. Pattanaik has really done a good job of organising the event; kudos and full marks to him. There was an emotional meeting with Prem Gulati after I'd last seen him when he'd to leave the service prematurely after a Court Martial, of which I was a member! He has grown - I must admit, much more than I have - as he doesn't bear any ill will from the incident. When he conceded that he was very happy to see me, he had meant it as it came from his heart and I was left gasping for the appropriate words, with emotions overpowering me and I gave him a tight hug!

There was, incidentally, no sign of the cyclone Bulbul! It had veered off in a north easterly direction!!


Tailpiece.

It was a kaleidoscope of emotions at being amid my friends, with whom I'd begun my Naval career, 41 years earlier! Thank god that Lekha and I could make it for the jamboree this time!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment