Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Two adieus.

There are a lot of people who come into one's life and though the contacts could have been fleeting or for short periods, their personalities leave a permanent imprint in one's life. I'm speaking of two such people - who'd touched my life - making a tremendous impact deep within. So, without much ado, let me put across my narrative and tell them, albeit quiet late, that they've already got into my list of those for whom I say my prayers every morning.

Both of them had passed into the mist of time towards the end of last week.

 (a) Alappurathe Amma.

       97-year-old KP Thangamma of the Alappurathu House at Neelamperoor was the wife of the
       late Raghava Panicker, who was a cousin of my grandfather, PN Panicker. I have a faint memory
       of all of them and the unrestrained love that they had showered upon me during my childhood
       visits which was a must in the yearly itinerary drawn up by my grandparents and my parents to
       ensure that my generation was well aware of their near and dear relations!

       It was sometime during the latter half of 2015, when Lekha and I had accompanied my mom to
       Neelamperoor and I remember having spent a good amount of time at the Alappurathu House.
       The old lady was lying on the bed and registering the footfalls of each and everyone who came
       into the house. My mom was thrilled at seeing her, went close to her and introduced herself when
       I saw an electric transformation in Alappurathe Amma. She'd got up and felt my mom's face and
       her upper torso when my mom informed her, that her son and his wife were also beside her. She
       quickly embraced me and ran her palm over my face and upper body and said, "I can see you
       both, now".

       A botched up cataract surgery had resulted in the loss of her sight about two years earlier! And
       she'd learnt to live with that shortcoming without complaints!!

       Three days prior to her passing away, her food intake had drastically reduced and she passed
       away peacefully. She leaves behind a daughter and two sons, who were beside her, when the end
       had come about. Yet another link to that era of our family has snapped!

       RIP Alappurathe Amme! My tears and prayers!! Your love and kindness shall always be
       remembered deep within.

  (b) Gopala Panicker.

        87-year-old Gopala Panicker was a hard working farmhand and a good rubber tapper. He was
        my dad's loyal understudy and used to work in our paddy fields, the farm immediately around
        the house, pluck coconuts/betel nuts, take the dry 'copra' to the mill for oil and tap the rubber
        trees every morning and prepared the rubber sheets for selling to the guy who collected them at
        the market.
     
        He had a weakness for the bubbly and drank himself silly, often, without backing it up with
        wholesome food. His tall and wiry frame was regularly seen at our place when either my dad
        or me were home on leave. I used to tip him and my dad used to caution me about giving him
        large amounts as he headed straight for the bar to down his sorrows - though he did not tell
        anything to anyone. He'd married twice, but both the families kept a distance from him till his
        very end!

        Mom used to give him a lot of pep talk about not being addicted to liquor but it fell on deaf ears.
        Consequently, my parents had kept him away from doing any of the farm work but he made it a
        point to come home, at least twice a week, to spend time with them. My dad gave him a chhota
        peg, once in a while, while mom gave him food.

        I, however, distinctly remember his visit during mom's last trip to Raj Nivas, when she allowed
        him to sit on a chair next to her to read her palm. I was quite amused about the incident and she
        gave me that characteristic smile when I'd questioned her about it, subsequently.

        I shall miss his visits to our house during my next trip. He, too, had given us his unadulterated
        love without seeking anything in return.

        RIP Gopala Panicker ji. My tears and prayers. Shall always remember you for the love and
        affection that you'd showered on me and have added you in my prayers.


Tailpiece.

Had got up about half an hour late, gone through the chores and washing machinex. Tied up quite a few things that had to be completed before our forthcoming trip.
     

        
       
       

No comments:

Post a Comment