Friday, November 8, 2019

Step one to our course get together.

The day had begun on the usual note, we'd got up around our normal time, gone through the chores and were ready on time. Missed out on meeting the newspaper boy, Ramakrishnan but the franchisee, Preman had dropped by to collect the last month's owing and I could tell him about my requirement. Vishnu, the accountant from the JSS, Kollam had reached 'The Quarterdeck' fairly well in time. After going through the papers that he'd brought with him, I'd given my decisions and sent him back so that he could board the passenger train to Thrissur at a quarter to 12!

A quick lunch and after shutting down the house, we were out of the house by about a half past 1. Had stopped by at the nearby petrol bunk to top up the Chevy with fuel and check the tyre pressure. My next stop was at an ATM to pull out some money and it was then that I got a shock! The balance reflected something that did not match up with my calculations and the thought worried me as another cheque would be coming up for clearing within a couple of days!

We drove into the Golf View by about 1600 hrs and Mr. George, the new Manager in place of my friend, Murali was ready to welcome us. After giving us their 'welcome drink' he took us to our assigned room and noted down my requirements before and after our trip to Bhubaneshwar. Meanwhile, cyclone 'Bulbul' - hurtling, currently, in a north westerly direction over the Bay of Bengal - is poised to veer towards a north easterly direction and finally, peter out over Bangladesh and Myanmar, skipping the eastern coast of India over the next couple of days! So our flight, scheduled to land at Bhubaneshwar tomorrow afternoon, is poised delicately!

Meanwhile, had spoken to Vishnu, the bank manager and he allayed my fears on the balance in my account!

I've been praying to the weather god very fervently as the timely arrival is a must for being with the others and to commence the subsequent serials planned for our get together. Am tingling with excitement to be with my Naval course mates after what has been a long while! Hope Lekha also enjoys the gathering.


Tailpiece.

When Body Parts Are Used As Verbs.

Many parts of the body can be used as verbs in either a physical or a metaphorical sense.

You can head a company but if things go wrong you'll have to shoulder the blame or face your investors. A good leader will back his employees but if you don't toe line the management can skin
you. Did you muscle your way into that job?

You might eye someone suspiciously or wait for the police to finger a suspect.

But if you need to get out of town, you can thumb a ride or you can ride with me if you can stomach the thought. Use strong arm tactic if you want to elbow out someone. 

I don't always sing along with the radio but I sometime do mouth the words.

That's amazing English!    

No comments:

Post a Comment