Saturday, August 22, 2020

Remembering Amma.

It has been four years since my Amma had passed into the mist of time. Today's the 'Atham' star as per the Malayalam calendar. Can never forget this day, four years back, when her end had come by. Till then, I'd been passing on condolences to close friends and relatives when they lost their mothers, thanking God that my Amma was still with me.

It used to be days of fun and laughter with Amma and she used to tell me about her childhood, coupled with numerous nuggets of anecdotes that I wanted to hear. She seemed to be basking at the attention that I was giving her but actually, the predominant feeling was the other way round from my side - I was getting all the time in the world to be with her, who used to laugh at the PJs that I used to crack!

Our interaction used to begin right in the morning, when I used to tip toe to her bedroom lest that I'd be disturbing her. Invariably, she would be up and about and we used to wish each other. As I folded her bed cover - in true boarding school style - and switched on the geyser, she'd slowly organise herself for the wash and change. I would, then, go for my walk. 

She was very particular about the clothes that she wore as they had to be pressed and the blouse/its border should match the design on the 'mundum neriyathum'. After her short prayer to the Sun (Her room had an east-facing window), she'd be ready to go down the stairs by a quarter past 7 - the time was sacrosanct and so, she used to be on the dot. Her small satchel with a comb, talcum powder, reading material and a towel - her personal effects - would be handed over to me.

I used to lead as she negotiated the stairs just to be ready to block her if, God forbid, she were to take a tumble. She used to say her short prayer at the puja room before settling down on her seat at the dining table, have her warm cup of tea along with either rusks or biscuits while poring through the day's newspaper. The newspaper boy had been instructed that the days papers should fetch up by then and Ramakrishnan never, ever failed her as he was very fond of her. I remember how sad she was when he'd told her about his son's untimely death, due to an accident!

The farmhand, Pushpaakaran, kept his tryst with her every morning just to touch her feet and accept the cup of tea that she insisted upon handing over to him personally. I would have, by then, finished my floor exercises, wash and change so that the three of us could have breakfast together at 9. Later, sitting on the sofa in the sitting room, we used to be in continuous conversation before I went upstairs to work on my laptop. She used to read, speak to a few people over the telephone (a habit that she tapered as she had a problem in hearing but avoided her hearing aid!)  - she'd have made a mental list much before and take a short nap before I returned to be with her, to continue with our conversation. 

Lunch together at 1, a bit more of conversation and it was siesta time. We would be back for the evening cup of tea and around 5 o'clock, she used to insist on walking up and down, at the courtyard, holding my hand. She used to talk to anyone and everyone who passed by on the road, during that time. She used to have a wash and change and then, settle down for the evening prayer. 

She used to watch the television for a while but preferred talking to us till it was dinner time at 9. In between, was fruit the fruit session which she thoroughly enjoyed. By a half past 9, we used to trudge up the stairway - this time in reverse order - and I would make her bed. We used to watch the television, together, for about an hour and by a half past 10, it was pipe down - to use a naval terminology - when she turned in to bed. I would wrap her up with the cover and wish her a sound sleep.

Today was the day to relive each of those lively and lovely moments with Amma. As I punch in these thoughts of mine, sitting at the foot of her bed, how I wish she was on the bed conversing with me! I'm sure she's around, watching me!

My Amma bestest!


Tailpiece.

Got up at a half past 5, the chores and we were ready by a half past 6. Offered the 'bali tharpanam' for Amma - there was a crow on the coconut tree, close by, which had cawed early in the morning, watching Lekha and me place the offering of rice - rolled into two balls - on the banana leaf. As we moved away, the crow had descended to a lower branch of a nearby tree for the final swoop, when lo and behold, Veena and Jismy, the nurses from the Rajah Hospital fetched up - in the their full Covid attire to collect our blood samples as we'd our medical review on Monday - scaring it away, never to return! What a tragedy?

Our lab results are within parameters. Ramesh and Appu had come by for the garden work. The 'waste dispenser' was emptied, cleaned and resited, the grass was clipped and the potted plants were trimmed, cleared and slurry applied, along with water.            

No comments:

Post a Comment