Friday, September 9, 2022

Adieu Vinod Kumar Gawri sir!

Had joined the National Defence Academy on 10 Jan 1973, as a 1st termer in the 49th Course. Was slotted into the Hunter Squadron. Life was on a whirl for the next three years as the training kept us busy and on our toes 24 x 7! And those were the days when the railway station and the entire city was known as Poona!!

Since I was the lone guy from the south of the Vindhyas and was the shortest in the group, I got a fair share of ragging and collective punishments as "my discipline was not up to the mark" from the point of view of a few of my seniors. I think many of my seniors were, meanwhile, observing me all the time as I waded from one punishment session to another ragging session, prompting a question from a senior, "Hey, young man, don't you have any friend/school type in this squadron? I see that you're regularly being taken charge of, by all and sundry. From now onwards, you shall be my understudy and if anyone were to feel funny with you, I shall have him sorted out". It was Cadet Vinod Kumar Gawri from the 44th course and my squadron mate; he was in the 6th term.

Cadet VK Gawri was a great guy. Good at outdoors and was respected by one and all. He took me under his wing and taught me a lot of things in his own style. I used to partner him in his 'flashing exercises', at the Naval Training Team (NTT), during the evenings, before supper. I could make up the words which he used to miss and I guess his overall performance in it was good! He used to say that, "Rajeev was a great help during the flashing exercises".

A couple of days back, he'd undergone an Angioplasty and while being wheeled into the ICU, suffered a cardiac arrest, from which he never woke up. He was also suffering from kidney-related problems. What a sad way to go? 

Adieu Gawri sir! Om Shanti! Sadgati. My salute, tears and prayers. May your near and dear ones have the strength to tide over these stressful times.


Tailpiece.

Got up around 20' past 5 to go around the corner and consequently, sleep was difficult to come by. So recited my prayers and sent the usual morning posts on What'sApp and turned off to sleep yet again.
Got up around a quarter to 8, the chores and was ready by a quarter past 9.

Had breakfast together and then worked on my laptop. Lunch was had at 1. Yakkitiyak!

We left Edappalli by a quarter past 2 and reached The Quarterdeck by a half past 4. The traffic was comparatively sparse. Opened up the house and finished the unpacking. Kittu and the kittens were given their food by Lekha.

A quiet evening thereafter.   



 

No comments:

Post a Comment