Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Football is here!

Thanks to the start of the FIFA cup football championships in South Africa,
days have become much more interesting. The strategies and tactics followed
by each team will slowly unravel as the initial rounds get completed. Every
evening I take up my vantage position, in front of our television, after
finishing my daily chores - I dread 'long' telephone calls during the period
and hope like mad that none intrudes my privacy as I do not want to miss out
on any piece of the action.
This is my personal thought, that a game of football is anyday preferrable to
watch compared to say, a game of cricket which anyways one is saturated with.
Sad that India is yet to arrive on the world soccer circuit and I refuse to
believe that we lack talent. My personal foray into the game was as a member
of my 'House' eleven in school and the Hunter squadron team, while at the NDA
and my position was 'left in'. And I enjoyed the game best when I had played
under a slight drizzle with the entire House or the Squadron enthusiastically
endorsing every move of the team and cheering lustily, egging us on to achieve
the impossible nay, the incredible!
I don't want to do any crystal ball gazing as of now, but I must admit to
having a sneaky preference towards Brazil ever since their legendary win of
the Jules Rimet Cup for the third time in 1970 and annexation of the cup
as their own as per the byelaws. The FIFA cup was introduced in lieu!
Here's wishing the very best to all the teams!!

No comments:

Post a Comment