Sunday, June 20, 2010

My weekend tryst with automobiles and other trivia

This weekend shall always go down in memory as one when I’d got to test drive three good vehicles like the Toyota Corolla Altis, the Chevrolet Cruze and the Honda Civic. The drives were spread over the entire forenoon of Saturday and though the heat prevalent was oppressive, it did not dampen our enthusiasm. I must confess that though I thoroughly enjoyed my ‘behind the wheels experience’ on the Altis and Civic as they were both petrol driven, the powerful and diesel engined Cruze did test my wits. The roads of Moti Nagar were just about okay and I made sure that my fellow passengers did not have a ‘torrid’ ride.
The change of guard
Meanwhile, it was our Old Boys’ day at school. Towards the run up to the event, there were acrimonious mail exchanged on the OBA circuit about changing the office bearers, especially Capt(IN)Louis George of my class of ’72 who has been the President for the last 15 years. He has been a tireless worker and would even spend money from his own pocket to attend impromptu meetings of the OBA, without seeking remuneration. I reckon the heated exchanges were an ego trip to many minds and thankfully, the General Body meeting of the OBA of 19 Jun ’10 elected another classmate of mine viz. J Ajith Kumar(418) ending weeks of speculation . On a personal level, I felt bad for Louis but I was also happy that yet another classmate of mine has taken over as the President of the organisation. While thanking Louis for his everlasting contributions to make the organisation dynamic and proactive, I wish Ajith the very best and my continued support in all his endeavours.
Father’s day
While speaking to my parents today, as is my usual Sunday morning practice, I’d wished my father a ‘happy father’s day’ and amused as he was about the whole thing, he repeated the same question that my mother had asked of me on mother’s day and that was, ‘do you remember me only on this day?’ I was flummoxed and left searching for an answer.
Tailpiece
Minni and Ammu are currently at Palakkad with Rema, the sister who’s immediately younger to me. They were on a picnic to the Malampuzha dam this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment